23. More Than A Friend

"Hey, this is Kai. Since I didn't pick up your call, I'm obviously busy. Leave a voicemail instead." I ended the call, pulling my hair back with a stressed sigh.

Two days ago, after the relatively impressive declaration of finding happiness expressed by Kia, I had gone to sleep with a small smile and touched heart.

Only to find the boy missing the very next morning, squeezing all the happiness I felt the prior night out of me.

Kai was now neither picking up his phone, nor replying to my text.

His clothes and stuff were still at home so it wasn't like he ran away, but I hadn't seen his face for the last two days.

I would've thought he got wolfnapped or something had there not been meals ready at home after I came back from work.

So it was clear he was coming home, just not when I was there.

The guy knew my schedule by heart, so if he tried hard enough, like he did, we wouldn't meet each other for as long as he wanted.

Unless I fuck work and go home early, but that would get me fired for sure.

The boss was already pissed at me for using more whipping cream than required on that one special customer. But she could take that money out of my salary for all I care.

Phoenix loves cream and I love Phoenix, so I wasn't going to stop doing that any time soon.

"Who are you trying to call since morning?" A voice asked and I snapped out of my thoughts to look at Casey giving me a questioning stare while mopping the floor.

The cafe was empty apart from the two of us.

"Kai, he isn't coming home these days." I told her honestly making her raise her brow.

"Why? Did you two fight?" She asked, not even trying to hide her curiosity. She can be unintentionally nosy at times, but so could I.

We both liked the other type of tea. The non-beverage one.

"Nah, I don't even know what happened with him." I sighed. One moment he was talking about 'finding happiness' and the other moment he was nowhere to be seen.

Was he embarrassed or something?

Figures. After spewing that overused second male lead dialogue, even I would be embarrassed.

The irony of the situation was almost hilarious, the main character of the book acting like the second lead for a third-rated villain.

Suddenly, a phone rang and for a split second, I thought it was mine before my brain differentiated the ringtone.

I looked at Casey who clicked her tongue in annoyance and declined the call making me raise a brow.

"Are you ghosting your roomie too?" I asked sarcastically.

"Nah, it was my...ex." She sighed, "He's trying to get back together but I'm done with his shit."

"Oh," I said, trying not to sound too interested or nosy, "You mean the guy who was glaring at me the last time he dropped you off?"

"Yup, that's the dumbass." She groaned, "But whatever. I'm over his immature teenage ass anyway. Now, I'm a free bird who just wants to get laid." She sighed dramatically and some part of me could relate to her.

'I wanna get laid by mate too!' The wolf's voice suddenly popped in my head.

'Damn, Max. You scared me.' I had almost jumped when I heard his voice, 'And where the hell were you? I hadn't heard you for a while now.'