Chapter 47: "Safe."

~The next session with Yoongi~

Jieun's POV:
"Hello, Mr. Yoongi," I greeted. He didn't say anything and sat on the couch. This time, he didn't try to mask the fact that he was drunk. But what I noticed was he wasn't as drunk as the first time. His body language was more alert this time. I didn't know if I should see this as a good thing or not. Man, he really meant it when he said he would make me give up. I chose to not address it.

Over 15 minutes of normal conversation later, I decided to ask him about Hoseok. "Tell me about Hoseok," I said. He looked up at me and asked, "What about him?" "Since when have you been friends?" I asked. "Uh, probably since he started dating my sister. Around 9 or some years ago," he replied. "Oh, that's nice. Is he one of your closest people?" I asked. "He's the closest person to me," he said, sternly.

Hmm, interesting.

"What was the moment you thought he is your best friend?" I asked. He only looked at me. "I dont know," he said.

Lies.

"Alright. How does being with him make you feel?" I asked. "Safe," he said.

Truth.

There was a small pause between us. "Why safe? What do others make you feel then?" I asked. "I don't need to hide in front of him. He knows the worst of me. Others... make me feel... nothing," he replied.

This was a breakthrough. But I knew if I kept digging, he would shut down and I would have nothing. Think, Jieun!

He lifted his arm to scratch the back of his neck and thats when I saw his wrists. Scarred. My eyes shifted to his fingers and I saw a ring. Oh, married. Okay. I wondered why his wife wasn't here. Can't ask that either. He'd turn hostile.

Think! Think! Think!

"While booking your appointment, Hoseok mentioned alcoholism. Have you tried AA meetings?" I asked. He looked at me and laughed. I was confused. "You mean, the meetings were 'people like me' come and weep about their sorrows and everyone must feel sorry about the fact that they're alcoholics? Yeah, been to those," he said.

I waited for him to say more. There was definitely more.

As expected, after 15 seconds, he said, "I know very well that I'm drinking and that I consciously chose to do that. I knew what I was doing, Doc. I don't need people feeling sorry for me when they don't know the first thing about what it was like for me. Circumstances didn't force me into a good scotch. I did."

There is so much more to Min Yoongi.

We drifted to different topics and he returned to his usual persona of arrogant and ignorant. Why did he have this social mask? I was not able to figure him out. But it had only been a week, I just had to give it time.

We finished the session. Hoseok, like last time, waited for it to get over. They were about to leave when I saw Jimin come in. He smiled at me and I smiled back.  He looked at Yoongi and they walked past each other. He walked up to me, greeted Beomgyu, and wrapped me in a hug.

We spoke for a bit and when we were going back home, he said, "I didn't know Min Yoongi was your client." "Wait, you know him?" I asked. "Of course! He was all over the news some 3-5 years ago," replied Jimin. "Is that so?" I asked. "Yeah, his wife died some years back. It was everywhere, hon, I'm surprised you don't know about this," he said, "And then Min Builders went bankrupt. Some say it's because he drinks."

His wife died? He still wears his wedding ring. That's it. That's the key.

"Earth to Jieun?" Jimin said. I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at him. "Is that what he's in for? Alcoholism?" he asked. "I can't tell you that, Jimin. And also, I'd appreciate if you kept this to yourself. I already don't like you knowing who my clients are. This is my job, babe" I said. He nodded.

We were just about to go to bed, when I called Beomgyu.

Jieun: "Sorry for calling you so late, Beomgyu."
BG: "No, it's totally okay. What do you need?"
Jieun: "For the next session with Min Yoongi, I want you to search up whatever media articles you can find about him. Okay?"
BG: "Sure. Anything else?"
Jieun: "No, that would be it. Thank you so much."
BG: "Ma'am, are you sure you want to rely on media articles to get him to open up? I think that could work adversely."
Jieun: "Yes, of course that will work adversely. It's not because I want him to open up. I want to collect things common folk would know about him. So that I can understand whether or not his public image has had an effect on what he thinks of himself."
BG: "Oh! Okay. Yes, ma'am, it'll be done."

And we hung up.