Roses and Thorns: Special Issue

*Please assure you have read the previous chapters before reading this one.

13/09/1995

One Time Only Special Issue.

Revisiting 1978.

1978, a year gone down in history and arguably, the birth of Halle Henry as we know her today. When you think of 1978, many people's first thoughts are of Harry Styles and Halle Henry. What happened between them, and why did one day after an Aerosmith concert in November, were they never spotted together again in public?

Even now, seventeen years after the year where nobody could stop talking about them, do we see iconic press pictures of the pair, stunning on stage pictures of them covering 'Dream On', and even off guard shots from backstage. We see these pictures everywhere, so let's find out the truth about what happened that caused the bond to break.

Much to our surprise, both Halle Henry and Harry Styles agreed to take part in an interview with one of our correspondents, Andrew, and discuss the year 1978. Unfortunately due to busy, overlapping schedules and personal requests, these interviews were taken two months apart.

*disclaimer: these conversations have been condensed and cut down for the purpose of the magazine.

Andrew met with Harry Styles in a smoothie bar in Hollywood in February, here's what Harry Styles had to say.

Andrew: So, 1978. A big year for you. You met Halle at the beginning of the tour, she opened the last couple of weeks of your shows and then you guys hit it off as best friends, right? Or what's your side of things.

Harry: Yeah, she came to open my shows but that was a business move that turned into something it wasn't supposed to. I mean that's no secret, we all know that now.

Andrew: Do you regret having Halle on tour with you? I mean you guys seemed to have a genuine friendship, if not more, but losing that at the hands of business can't have been easy.

Harry: I do. I do regret it. I suppose things would have been different and I don't know...Maybe I didn't regret it actually, for selfish reasons of course, I just regret how I handled everything, you know? That's a hard question.

Andrew: In terms of friendship, was that all it was? Was it really just platonic?

Harry: C'mon man, we all know that wasn't platonic.

Andrew: You loved her?

Harry: I did. I loved her a lot and I wish I had cared more about that than contracts and business.

Andrew: Do you think she knew how much you loved her?

Harry: I think she always knew.

Andrew: Did you want things to work out? I mean, one minute you guys were leaving a concert holding hands, and the next Halle released a song called All Too Well.

Harry: I always wanted us to be forever. But we couldn't be. I couldn't be an independent artist, I was never as strong as her and I needed Sunset to help me. I had to call it off, it was music or Halle and I selfishly chose music.

Andrew: It's been seventeen years, have you guys crossed paths again? If not, would you consider it?

Harry: I don't know. I've seen her at award shows, but we haven't talked since I called things off all that time ago. I'd love to talk to her again, she was a great friend of mine and I think everything she's accomplished is incredible. I'd love to see her again, I don't know if Halle would necessarily want to meet with me, but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. It would be weird though, we're both so much older now and everythings different...I don't know man.