Chapter 33: Information

Obi-wan stopped hesitating and took a deep breath as he stepped onto the guarded platform. He was going to see Moralo Eval to see if he could learn more about his potentially evil scheme. The only problem was that Obi-wan was beginning to feel less comfortable with the idea of going against his moral code, Jedi or otherwise. Anakin and Ahsoka wouldn't have a problem with disregarding the rules but Obi-wan had a reputation as the most self-respecting Jedi and felt strange to be acting lik a criminal. He wondered how they were at the moment and if they had learned of the plot the Jedi had concocted. Anakin had been crucial in making sure that everyone bought onto the idea of his death. At least, that's what Obi-wan kept telling himself.

"You coming or not?" The gruff voice of the security guard broke Obi-wan out of his deep thoughts. They were two soldiers who were dressed in red and white armour and, even though Obi-wan couldn't see their faces, were annoyed.

Obi-wan nodded slowly and stepped silently stepped onto the platform. The gruff guard nodded at his partner and he pulled a lever. The platform began to move across the empty chasm of all of the prison cells. They were safe from prisoners just jumping out at them as they were held behind yellow ray shields. Obi-wan took no pleasure in recognising many of the prisoners faces as he and the other Jedi had been the ones to put them behind bars.

Moralo Eval's cell was right across from Obi-wan's current one. He felt himself fill with nerves and a slight apprehension at the thought of being so close yet so far. The platform stopped and the less gruff guard nodded at him to move as the ray shield was deactivated for a moment. Moralo Eval was waiting for him with his fingers bridged and a giddy smile on his face. The picture of anticipation. Obi-wan felt himself relax slightly at the thought of it just being them where no one else could inject if they thought a question was too revealing to someone who wasn't quite in on the plan. How wrong he was...

Cade Bane was lying on the top bunk of his bed with his signature hat laying across his face, obscuring it from view. Obi-wan also picked up on the toothpick hanging out of his mouth as well as his right hand resting on his gun. It filled with a different kind of nerves. "Rako Hardeen!" Moralo Eval cheered at his entrance and came to pat him on the back. "I'm glad you're here. We have much to discuss. But first, are you familiar with my cell mate? I do believe that he has made quite a name for himself." Moralo motioned his hands towards the top bunk where Cade Bane had swing his legs over the railings and was looking down at him.

Obi-wan gave him a curt nod and turned his attention back to the scally mastermind. "What did you want to talk to me about?" Curiousity was now gnawing at his chest, begging for a answers.

Moralo Eval seemed pleased with his enthusiasm and grinned. "My employer is a very wealthy man and has a job for some of the best Bounty Hunters in the galaxy. I think with your expertise you will fit in nicely with the team. However, first, we must get out of here which is why Cade Bane is here. He has come up with a brilliant escape plan if I do say so myself. I'll hand you over to him." Moralo stopped talking and inclined his head towards his sulking cellmate who merely spat his toothpick out. "Bane?" Moralo Eval half-prompted, half-hissed at him.

Cade jumped down from his perch and looked Obi-wan right in the eyes. "I don't share my plans with just anyone. What makes you so special?" It was a taunt, Obi-wan realised. Bane didn't trust him and wanted to hear his infamous story from his own lips.

Obi-wan took a step forward so their toes were touching and returned the Duros's stare. "I killed a Jedi. Can you say the same? From what I've heard, you've been at odds with the Jedi for years but never gained an advantage on them. Bit of a disappointment, right Bane?" Obi-wan was enjoying riling up his old rival and could see how much it was working.

However the undercover Jedi forgot that Cade Bane had the plan to getting them out of the prison and would soon regret getting on his bad side. Bane snarled and turned away from him. "I don't work with rookies. Especially those who got lucky. Show me some skill and I'll reconsider but right now, this conversation is over." The nortorious Bounty Hunter put another toothpick in his mouth and climbed back into his bed.

Moralo Eval had been watching their confrontation with wide eyes. He always liked a good rivalry to spice things up. He clapped his hands together and began to laugh. "Well it seems as though this cell isn't big enough for the three of us. Rako Hardeen, if we need you again, we will call again." He began to lead Obi-wan towards the door and signalled for the guards to come back.

"Don't count on it." Cade Bane growled just loud enough for the others to hear. Obi-wan resisted the urge to retort and instead bid Moralo Eval a goodbye before being bought back to his cell by the gruff clones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that day, Obi-wan walked onto the main section of the prison. This was where the gym, mess hall, playground and library were as well as visitor booths and infirmary. It was reasonably well looked after and Obi-wan realised that the prisoners here were a lot friendlier than the ones who sulked and stewed in their ray-shielded cells. Right now though, the imposing criminal wanted to go to the gym. It was easier to contact the Jedi Temple from there as the connection was better and no one would take much notice of others. The gym was filled with treadmills, punching bags, dumbbells and weight lifting benches. Obi-wan made his way to one of them and started to lift. He'd never considered himself unfit or felt the need to work out. Anakin had always wanted to be stronger, fitter, better and it had paid off. His was considered very attractive by mating standards and unfortunately for Obi-wan that had also led to an inflated ego.

After a few lifts, Obi-wan sat up slightly as though to take a break and pulled out his com link. Two bleeps came and went before the holographic faces of Mace Windu and Yoda appeared before him. "This is Ben. Hello Masters, how are you?" Obi-wan whispered to them.

Yoda smiled and spoke first. "Well we are Obi-wan, good to see you again, it is. Any new information for us, do you have?" It was clear to the wise Jedi that the grandest of the Jedi were desperate and stressed.

"I got close. Moralo Eval invited me to his cell to discuss what potentially could've been his evil scheme. He explained that his employer was a wealthy man who needed the best Bounty Hunters in the galaxy for a job. He didn't specify then as he moved on to how we would escape. However he'd entrusted this information to Cade Bane, his cellmate. Let's just say that he didn't take kindly to my persona and thereby refused to divulge his escape plan. I was told to leave before I could learn anything more. I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more use." Obi-wan stopped talking as an Ithorion walked past and to let his superiors process what he had just said.

Mace Windu looked troubled. "Having Bane in on the plan does complicate things. It will make it harder for you to gain information but it is imperative that you do. Try and include yourself on their escape plan and see what other information you can gather from them." The stern Jedi instructed their spy as they ended their transmission. Obi-wan sighed. It would be easier for him to ride a wild Bantha than befriend Cade Bane but at least he he had an objective now.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I did. It's the half-term now so I'll have longer to write and probably update sooner. My next update will be on Thursday and be the penultimate chapter before the final and then the prologue. Bye, bye.