Chapter 31

Ariana's POV:

I got back from the meeting mentally exhausted, I just wanted to lay down and take a nap, hopefully forget today happened. As much as I tried, it wasn't possible for me to have a day to myself. I laid down, ready to sleep when the door to my bedroom opened.

"Can you have an adult conversation without ignoring me? Last night was unnecessary Ariana, I can't believe you would just blatantly ignore me?" His voice raised higher the more he spoke until he was eventually yelling at me.

I closed my eyes with a heavy sigh, "I don't want to do this right now Dalton, can this please wait until later? I'm so tired." I begged, listening to him scoff before slamming the door behind him.

I sat up, hoping he had taken the sign, but he stood his ground, wanting to 'resolve' things immediately.

"What Dalton? I didn't mean to ignore you last night, but I told you that I wouldn't be able to talk to you for a majority of the evening. It's not like I planned to be too busy to be with you the entire night, but I talked to you as much as I could." I explained, "I don't know what you wanted me to do? I was a part of the event."

He shook his head with a smirk, "Bullshit Ariana, you're a liar."

I became defensive, I hate being called a liar when I'm telling the truth, "I'm being honest with you, I literally explained all of this to you before. I'm sorry for ignoring you, it wasn't my intention to do that."

"Okay Ariana," He said sarcastically, "Using your makeup brand as a cover up to go out and--." He stopped himself, looking at me with disgust.

"My makeup brand? So, you're upset that Nevaeh got signed? I had no choice in that, I was against it in the first place but got out voted, it's not my fault." Something in him turned, the face he made sent shivers down my spine, I was terrified.

Taking a step closer, he attempted to make me fear him, wanting to seem more powerful as he stared me down, "What? Why the fuck would you let her sign? It's your brand, do something about it."

"I can't." I replied, quickly shot down by him.

"You need to fix it, or do you still want her? Go ahead, leave me Ariana. I'll sleep in the living room tonight, I'm sick of your shit." He headed toward the door, opening it with his back turned to me, "I'm serious Ariana, fix this." He slammed the door after him, leaving me alone.

Feeling petty, I connected my phone to the house speakers and played 'pete davidson', texting Courtney to pull up so I can spend the night with her. I packed myself a bag while the song played, waiting for my best friend.

About 10 minutes passed before I heard the speakers from Courtney's car blaring outside. I raced down with my bag, listening to Dalton start another argument with me for leaving and not wanting to be here for the time being. It became a part of our routine.

We had spent the rest of the night talking over wine, I ended up getting drunk and falling asleep, not forgetting to set my alarms for the REM Beauty photoshoot that was scheduled for tomorrow. I woke up the next morning and got ready, putting on some eyeliner and light makeup before heading over with the help of Courtney.

I walked on the set, my anxiety kicking in when I realized Nevaeh was standing not too far from me. I didn't want to approach her since we hadn't talked in a while, the talk when the power went out being the most recent. I stared from afar, my heartbeat speeding up when we made eye contact, exchanging small and awkward smiles with each other.

She glanced around the room for a moment then made her way to me.

"Hey."

"Hi." I replied, "I seen you modeling, you look good. I appreciate you taking the offer, it means a lot." She nodded, playing with her fingertips out of clear nervousness.