⤜Chapter-6⤛

Bette nudges me and signals me to take deep breaths

Bette nudges me and signals me to take deep breaths. I follow her lead. I needed to inform her that mother had recognised me. I try to tell her through quiet gestures, but she just gives me a puzzled look.

I then raise my eyebrow at Merida, indicating that I wanted to say something to her. She, unlike Bette, does understand. She motions me to wait.

Mother sits in a huge throne-like chair, especially reserved for her.

"Finally, the moment we have all waited for. Presenting the newly engaged couple, Prince Charles and Lady Eugenie."

They come down and I almost well up. Charles looked as handsome as ever, coming down with a pretty girl with golden hair.

I realised that I was seeing him after two years. He was my favourite brother among all my other cousins. He believed in me, always. He never made me feel bad about myself.

Unlike mother, he doesn't recognise me. However, he does not forget to glance discreetly at Eugenie every now and then.

They do not sit; they make their way to the podium.

"Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen", he starts. "I am honoured to be blessed by your presence today. A special thanks to Lord and Lady Balenciaga, King Lucas and my aunt, The Sorceress for joining me on this special day.

"It has been a long time since the witches and the humans have been at war with one another. We forget that all of us live on the same ground, all of us drink the same water and all of us have the same emotions.

"To make assumptions and rumours about each other is the most terrible thing we have done. Instead of living a peaceful life with one another in harmony, we choose to live, fearing and scaring the other breed."

He steps back and puts a supportive hand on Eugenie's shoulder. She clears her throat. "This has happened for too long. Prince Charles and I have decided that we will set an example for all. On the second day of the month of October, we will take the solemn oath to-"

She stops short when Mother stands up.

"Ah dear Eugenie! What a beautiful voice you have! I really regret stopping this passionate speech of yours, but I have to intervene."

She looks back to see Uncle Jerrick sitting beside Aunt Diona on their thrones.

"Surely Jerrick, you did not accept Charles' request. He is still a baby, not old enough to make his own decisions."

At this Charles intervenes. "With all due respect, Auntie, I am twenty-three years old. I am old enough to make my own decisions."

Mother pouts at him. "Oh Charlie, my dear boy. Look how this human girl has already affected you."