{31}- Colette and Palmyra | The Requirements to be a Witch

Start from the beginning

However, surprise came to her in that moment in a manner that was far greater than her surprise at the unfamiliar voice.

"...Wha"

"My apologies, but it looks like I could use some help... The cold water's dropped my body temperature right down, and I feel like I'm about to lose consciousness. I may die, you see." A girl said as Colette saw the person's situation, and she widened her eyes.

The individual was being swept away by the freezing-cold river as she said that to Colette.

Colette barely managed to stop herself from letting out a scream, before hurriedly reaching her hand out to the girl in the river.

***************************************************************************************

"You have my thanks. I would have ended up drowning if you'd left me there. Or perhaps I would have frozen to death first? Either way, I would have died. Some people believe that freezing to death is an easy way to die, like falling asleep... But having actually felt what hypothermia is like when I was soaked in the river, I would say that it doesn't seem one bit easy, wouldn't you agree?" The pink-haired girl said as she pondered about something, and Colette looked quite flabbergasted.

"U-Uh..."

Colette felt overwhelmed by her companion, who was rattling on, showing no signs of stopping as they warmed themselves by the fire. But it wasn't like she wasn't showing a response to what had just occurred; her companion's face was awfully pale, and her fingers were trembling with cold.

Perhaps she was delirious, cornered down in both mind and body, Colette thought.

She felt sorry for the shivering girl, who was still showing a smile. She gently offered her some freshly boiled water, in an attempt to ease her suffering.

"Something hot to drink? Truly, you have my thanks. Restoring one's body temperature back to normal is the most important thing to do when dealing with hypothermia. It makes sense in that respect to warm one's body up from the inside. So, you had that kind of knowledge inside you all along, even though you look like you come from an environment with lacklustre education." The pink-haired girl rambled on again, and Colette fortunately found a point to reply.

"I'm not really sure about education. But like, even children, nevermind adults, know to give someone who's cold a hot drink, no?"

"...Right. I was the one being big-headed here. Then I shall gratefully accept your drink."

The girl brought her parted lips to her cup of hot water, then almost dropped it, likely because it was so hot to the touch. She breathed on it, and somehow started to drink from it.

"...What a strange girl."

Colette muttered that to herself, without even meaning to.

The girl had been carried in by the cold river. ──That expression alone carried a strange vibe to it, however the girl gave off an odd impression in many other respects.

She had long pink hair, and was wearing a cloak made for men, as well as shoes that didn't at all seem suitable for a girl as slender and petite as her. She looked to be close to Colette in age, and was probably a tad shorter than her. However, her facial features were quite attractive, so much so that Colette couldn't take her eyes off them. She possessed a beauty that was unsuiting to her age.

And, the most eye-catching feature about this girl's appearance was...

"Have my ears perhaps caught your attention?"

Colette realised for the first time that she'd been staring at the girl's ears ── At her distinctive, long ears.

Many different kinds of Demi-Human lived in this world, but amongst them, there was only one species that was renown for and wide for their long, beautiful ears.