{19}- Those Who Fill the Vessel of Sloth | The Next Destination

You truly are... slothful.

The voice echoed through my head as I woke up in the darkness, in a realm that I immediately knew was not the real world.

If so, where was I?

The voice did not sound itself again, and so I wandered around the place. With only a faint source of light in this plane of existence, I followed it until I came to a room with a faint purple light.

The source of the light was held in the sky, just a few meters taller than myself. Up close, I saw some tendrils of shadows bound together, pulsating as it gave off the faint purple light.

Is that... what I think it is?

I jumped up to try and get it, but I was way too short. I tried activating Akra, but magic did not activate as I sat down and sighed. I'm a tad lazy to get that thing anyways.

The moment the word 'lazy' came from my mind, the ball of shadows floated down towards me, and the familiar tesseract came out of my stomach as I held it in my hand. The Deceit Witch Factor pulsated with excitement, and I held it up to the ball of tendrils as it suddenly shot its inner cube out at it, before absorbing it into the tesseract.

Huh? Did you just eat it? Give it back, you moron! I tugged at the Witch Factor, but it didn't respond. However, a few minutes later, it spewed out an identical Witch Factor as it absorbed, and I saw the original Sloth Witch Factor fly away while the copy stayed inside my Deceit Witch Factor. The original flew away with haste, and went to attach itself to its original host, Subaru.

I looked at the pulsating copy of the Sloth Witch Factor, which began to glow brighter and brighter as the black completely faded, replaced by a purple colour with a bright light glowing through the tendrils of shadow.

The Sloth Witch Factor, as if excited and happy that its owner recognized its existence, happily merged with the Deceit Witch Factor as it floated into the safety of the tesseract, before both of them slamming into my stomach.

Grk-! I coughed as the sheer force wanted me to vomit, but I felt more calm as I heard a voice in my mind. 

Synthesizing body with Sloth Witch Factor, process beginning now...

With the pain easing in with the sloth, I exited the shadowy realm.

***********************************************************************************************

I woke up in the middle of the night, with faint lights around me as I noticed the giant spike that used to protrude through my leg is now gone. The wound also healed, probably by a healer or something. However, before I can fully sit up to find my friends and Crusch, a hand grabbed me as I stared into the paranoid face of Subaru.

"Y/N! You're awake. Thank god..." Subaru said as he went into a smile, but it faded as the seriousness returned. "TELL ME. What happened to Rem?"

"I-" I struggled to say something, and the guilt stabbed me mentally again as I felt an uneasiness in my gut. The pain was so hard. The pain of failure...

"Tell me! What happened to Rem?"

"She... the... Archbishop of Gluttony erased her existence..." I muttered sadly. 

"Why? How could you do this to me? You promised to protect her!"

"I'm sorry, Subaru. I'm genuinely sorry. I even told the merchants to take a long way around, but the archbishops still came. It was my fault. I was so focused on the Archbishop of Greed that I didn't even notice him slip past me... I'm weak, I should've taken Reinhard, I-"