038 we are grounders

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Step-dad." she clarified after a moment, huffing a blonde whisp out of her eyes.

Murphy blinked at her with parted lips, stunned to silence as they stood in the quietude.

"I didn't know that." he spoke softly, the girl running a hand over her long locks with an annoyed sigh.

"No one does, but that's not the point, Murphy. The point is I told you not to hurt her and you did. You-"

She paused when she recognized he was no longer listening to her words, narrowing her eyes suspiciously at the reckless look swirling along with the obvious deep thought in his eyes; unable to read his odd expression. After a long moment of being frozen like this, he rushed towards her with urgency and purpose; Fallon jarring her head back in both displeasure and utter confusion as he clasped her hands in his. A sudden hope shone on his features, a pleading hope as his stare burned into her baffled one.

"Run away with me." he simply breathed, and though quiet, the words held a plethora of excitement and meaning and everything in between.

She gaped at him, utterly confounded by this; her brain struggling to process what he had actually just had the audacity to say.

"Are you dumb?!" was the girl's vexed response, yanking her hands away and pushing him aggressively backwards.

"All of this- camp, Dakota, war, banishment... it's too complicated." he carried on in a flurry of abrupt passion, seemingly blinded by some idealistic scheme he had just spontaneously dreamed up about riding off into the sunset with the hotheaded blonde.

"Come on, just-"

"Murphy-"

"I have my bag and we can just skip town and leave everything and everyone else behind. We can just-"

"Murphy!"

"They treat both of us like absolute crap, Fallon!" he boomed, reaching the climax of their back-and-forth arguing. She sighed loudly as a beat passed, her shoulders sagging; he wasn't lying.

"They hate you and me and that's not changing just because of your newfound obsession with Da-"

Fallon interrupted him by throwing a punch, and this time, she didn't miss. The boy yelped, squeezing his eyes shut and bringing a hand up to his instantly aching face; the girl taking it as an opportunity to kick his legs out from underneath him and send him crashing onto the ground. The wind was knocked from his lungs, face twisted in pain as he groaned; the girl marching over to him where he laid sprawled on his back, features smothered in ire.

His eyes fluttered back open in major discomfort and wariness as she stared down at him in rage, the intensity of her scowl the first thing he noticed as she stood towering over him.

"Never come back to this camp. And be thankful I'm not killing you for laying a finger on her." she seethed, her voice as vicious as it could possibly be.

Briefly, a look of genuine hurt appeared on his face; like those words coming from that girl had managed to actually deliver a pang to his miserable heart. But soon, rage was taking his features by storm.

She grunted when he unexpectedly brought his leg up, smashing the heel of his boot into her abdomen and sending her stumbling away from him; the boy soon hopping up onto his feet as she clutched her stomach with one hand. He stared at her one last time, resentment and bitterness having replaced the hopeful look in the set of shining eyes that had been warm seconds ago. They were cold now.

"Screw you, Fallon." he growled through gritted teeth, nearly foaming at the mouth with sourness.

"Back atcha, Johnny Boy." she panted with a scathing, sardonic salute.