ACT 2 SCENE 4: Finale "A Freudian Slip of the Jung"

(Well here we are at the final scene and song. I have changed the ending slightly from the original. That is why I'm posting it a bit late. I wanted to make sure I got it all right. Please enjoy the final scene and song of "A Freudian Slip of the Jung: The MUSICAL")

(AS THE SONG "SOME SORT OF WEAKNESS" REACHES ITS CLIMAX SIGMUND AND CARL SHARE AN INTIMATE KISS ON THE MOUTH AND AN EMBRACE. IT IS FOLLOWED BY A QUIET PAUSE.)

CARL

I have wondered for years why I felt such a strong psychic energy towards you. I mean, I feel some sort of energy towards everyone. Women and men alike. I'm not sure if it's always sexual or not... But with you it is some sort of...

(HE SEARCHES FOR THE WORD)

SIGMUND

Synchronized...what did you call it?

CARL

Synchron...Synchronized...electricity. Or something...

SIGMUND

You need to tighten that up.

TOGETHER

(THEY STARE AT EACH OTHER WITH WIDE EYES LIKE THEY ARE READING EACH OTHERS' MINDS)

Synchronicity! (PAUSE) A new word!

CARL

You see Sigmund. We have a psychic connection! A series of events and coincidences have brought us together. Sign posts from the Universe connecting us. It was meant to happen. Our exchange of ideas. Challenging our biases and beliefs!

SIGMUND

(SHAKING HIS HEAD)

Not psychic, Carl. My motives are simpler than that. It is intensely sexual. The feeling is very hard and strong. I mean, literally. I am so hard right now. Do you want to feel how hard it is?

CARL

(CARL LOOKS SLIGHTLY HURT)

No! It's more than that. I love you. Can't you understand that? I'm not just some cheap date, you know. Sheesh!

SIGMUND

Carl. I'm just being honest. This is why I faint. I cannot bear your touch, or to even see you. I am overwhelmed by my attraction you. I've restricted myself. And society has restricted me. And unless I can find a way to release this energy with you... I can't be near you.

CARL

Your fainting... was because of me?

(HE IS PIECING IT ALL TOGETHER)

But Sigmund, it sounds like you want to have another private affair? Like you did with Minna. Hidden under everyone's noses. Well we already know how well that works.

SIGMUND

I know. You're right. And, of course, you and I both know it would be never be accepted publicly. Our careers would be over. And this is why we will have to stay away from each other in the future. I am simply overwhelmed by my physical feelings for you.

(HE SLOWLY COLLECTS HIMSELF)

I don't agree with your recent theories Carl. But I would like to kindly propose that if I were ever to become a...religious man, it would be you - Sir - who would be able to convince me.

CARL

(WALKS UP TO THE DOCTOR AND HUGS HIM WARMLY)

Take care of yourself, Doctor Freud.