ACT 2 SCENE 2: Song "I'm Going to See the Doctor: Reprise"

(This week's song is a darker and more urgent version of the opening number with different lyrics. This is one of the newer songs and as such does not have it's own special video but I have added many stills from all of the different versions of the play. Jamillah Ross and I do all the voices on this one. Link below where the song starts.)

SCENE TWO

(JUNG SPEAKS TO THE AUDIENCE. FREUD LOOKS FOR THE SOURCE OF THE SOUND OF THE BANG IN THE BACKGROUND)

CARL

I didn't know there was going to be a loud bang. It just popped out of my mouth. As soon as I said it I felt I had made a terrible mistake. If there wasn't a loud bang I would have looked foolish and discredited my own argument. And what were the chances that there would be a loud bang? And yet to my astonishment... and Freud's...there was!

Freud's solid facade of materialism was shattered. However, when I arrived back home in Switzerland a few weeks later I received some alarming mail from Dr. Freud.

SIGMUND

(MOVES INTO THE LIGHT WHILE CARL OPENS UP A LETTER)

Dear Carl,

I must say that you almost had me convinced. After your little "experiment" with the walnut bed frame, you had me doubting my own convictions for the first time in many decades. Afterwards, however, I noticed that the movement of the ship causes many such sounds to occur. I have also taken some time to research walnut and I have since learned it makes a cracking sound naturally. I still contend that this event did not occur because at that moment you happened to have a "thought". This "magic trick" of yours was designed to throw me off the scent of the Oedipal Complex I had just revealed.

I suggest you...

(PAUSE. CARL TURNS OVER THE PAGE)

... travel to Vienna immediately where we can discuss your future in this profession. All of this troubles me even further in light of some upsetting correspondence I have just received from one of your patients.

CARL

Which patient would he be referring to?

SIGMUND

You are probably wondering which patient I am referring to. Well, it is one of your female patients. Does Fraulein Schoen...

(FREUD STARTS MUMBLING IN GIBBERISH AS JUNG CRUMPLES UP THE LETTER. THEN HE OPENS UP THE LETTER AGAIN)

...ring a bell?

CARL

(GASPS)

Never mind that part.

(HE LAUGHS NERVOUSLY, CRUMPLES UP THE LETTER AGAIN AND THROWS IT AWAY TOWARDS FREUD)

Not surprisingly this letter upset me greatly. Freud was delusional! I had no choice but to take the Express Train to Vienna!

MUSIC: I'M GOING TO SEE THE DOCTOR PART TWO

VERSE 1:

CARL

(SHOUTING)

TO AUSTRIA!

I'M GOING TO SEE THE WIFE OF HERR DOCTOR SIG-A-MUND FREUD,

THE CLICK AND THE CLACK OF THE TRAIN WON'T BE -

CLOCKING FAST ENOUGH FOR ME,

THE CLACK AND THE CLICK SO URGENTLY,

FASTER IT'S AN EMERGENCY!

HE'S IN A CORNER THAT'S HE'S PAINTED,

WANTS MY REPUTATION TAINTED,

WHY CAN'T HE LET ME BEEEE!???

SIGMUND, MINNA, MARTHA

THE CLACK AND THE CLICK SO URGENTLY

FASTER IT'S AN EMERGENCY!

GUITAR BREAK:

CARL

I'M GOING TO SEE THE WIFE OF HERR DOCTOR SIG-A-MUND FREUD

THERE HAS TO BE A CONFRONTATION

CARL AND MINNA

WE'VE HIT A POINT OF DESPERATION

HOW MUCH DOES HE REALLY KNOW ABOUT ME?

VERSE 2:

CARL

TO VIENNA!

I'M GOING TO SEE THE WIFE OF HERR DOCTOR SIG-A-MUND FREUD

MINNA AND MARTHA

HE'S GOING TO HANG HIM OUT TO DRY

WHY OH WHY DOES HE MAKE US CRY?

CARL

HE'S GOING TO MAKE A MINCE MEAT PIE OF MY CLAIRVOYANCY

MINNA

HE'S GOING TO MAKE SURE THAT HE'S FIRED

SIGMUND

ONCE THEY FIND OUT HE'S A LIAR!

CARL

WHY CAN'T HE LET ME BE!??

SIGMUND, MINNA, MARTHA

THE CLACK AND THE CLICK SO URGENTLY

FASTER IT'S AN EMERGENCY!

MARTHA

WHY DOES HE KEEP CALLING ME THE WIFE OF SIG-A-MUND FREUD?

DOESN'T HE KNOW MY FIRST NAME?

DOES HE KNOW THERE IS NO SHAME?

CARL

(TALK/SINGING)

I DON'T WANT TO PLAY HIS GAME

I'M NOT THE ONE WHO IS TO BLAME!

THE CLICK AND THE CLACK SO URGENTLY

FASTER! IT'S AN EMERGENCY?!

19 BERGASSE STANDS BEFORE ME!

(END OF SONG)

(Stay tuned next week Monday August 23/21 for ACT 2 SCENE 2: Song "Living a Lie Pt. 3" A special thanks to those readers and listeners who have come this far.)