ACT 1 SCENE 3: The Discovery

(Yes we finally have made it to the third scene! Jung discovers a secret about the Freud family. This is based on what occurred that very night, according to Carl Jung. I would just like to point out that in the videos and recordings of the songs Bruce Hunter is playing Jung and he is actually older than me even though Jung was younger than Freud. The reason for this is because he is telling the story from an older perspective looking back at what happened from the realm of the collective unconscious. Jung would have been 32 in these scenes at the time.)

SCENE THREE

SFX: MUSIC ON AN OLD PHONOGRAPH

CARL

Here I was in Dr. Sigmund Freud's house! Debating with the Master himself. Challenging his ideas! His sister-in-law slowly bringing me to erection. I was so excited I could have sworn at one point Dr. Freud was singing his arguments. After a few glasses of sherry, I started to calm down and Martha invited me to stay in their guest room for the night. Drunk with excitement and spirits I decided it would be prudent to accept this generous offer.

(CARL SITS BACK DOWN ON THE COUCH. FREUD IS BEHIND THE COUCH. THE WOMEN ARE IN THE SET PICTURE FRAMES)

SIGMUND

Carl!

(HE PUTS HIS HEAD DOWN BEHIND THE COUCH AND COMES BACK UP WITH COCAINE ALL OVER HIS NOSE)

Some cocaine?

CARL

I have never...Um...well... one snort couldn't hurt I suppose.

(HE SNORTS SOME COCAINE AND COMES BACK UP HOLDING THE PICTURE FRAME THEY HAVE BEEN SNORTING OFF)

You know you look quite dapper in this photograph.

SFX: THE MUSIC ON THE PHONOGRAPH STARTS SPEEDING UP

SIGMUND

(THEY BOTH SUDDENLY SPEAK FRANTICALLY AND LOUDLY)

Yes. That was taken at the University near your hometown in Switzerland actually. They gave me an honorary degree!

CARL

(SNORTS THE COCAINE)

Well of course! Truly we would not have the basic map of the unconscious without your guidance.

(HE SNEEZES)

SIGMUND

You know, I have so many of these pictures. Why don't you have this one to take with you as a gift? And let me sign that copy of The Interpretation of Dreams!

CARL

I think that this is one of the most extraordinary moments of my life!

SIGMUND

It is!

CARL

I really feel like I have gotten to know you as a real person. Forgive me, though I don't have a pen for you to sign with at the moment.

SIGMUND

(STANDING UP HE PUTS HIS ARM ON HIS SHOULDER)

No matter son. In the morning! When the sun is up there is plenty of time to do what we didn't do today!

CARL

In the morning then Sir...

(CORRECTING HIMSELF)

Dr. Freud. ...Sigmund.

(HE BOWS AND LEAVES)

SIGMUND