ACT 1 SCENE 1. Opening Monologue. SONG: I'm Going to See the Doctor

(COPYRIGHT SEAN FISHER 2009. This play has already been performed several times. If you are interested in performing the play please contact me. Do not copy. I promise you I will figure it out.)

ACT ONE

SCENE ONE

SETTING:

We are in a representation of The Collective Unconscious. A chaise lounge is in the middle of the stage. Behind it are three large picture frames. There are two wooden chairs facing each other from stage left and stage right on either side of the couch. There are stuffed animals, toys and tarot cards strewn about the floor. A decanter sits upon a table behind the chaise lounge.

AT RISE:

AT RISE:

CARL JUNG sits upon the Chaise lounge comfortably smoking a pipe. MINNA BERNAYS is inside the stage right frame. SIGMUND FREUD is in the middle frame and MARTHA FREUD is in the stage left frame. They are moving in slow motion. CARL JUNG is in a place called "The Collective Unconscious" which is a mind-field that everyone exists in past or present, living or dead. This includes the audience with whom he can interact.

MUSIC: SYNCHRONIZED ELECTRICITY(MAIN TITLE)/CARL'S MIND

SFX: COO-COO CLOCK SOUNDSCAPE FROM CARL'S MIND FADES.

CARL

(PROUDLY) Good evening. I am Doctor Carl Jung.

SFX: CRICKETS

CARL

Ah look at you, the collective unconscious! Not that I am suggesting that you are all unconscious but you never know. This could all just be a dream.

(CARL LOOKS AROUND QUIZZICALLY)

Well since it appears few of you seem to know who I am let me give you a few short hand notes. First: I came up with analytical psychology. You're welcome!

(HE HOLDS UP A PIECE OF PAPER WITH AN INK BLOT THAT LOOKS VAGUELY OBSCENE)

When your therapist shows you one of these and asks you what it means well... That was me. Take a good look. What do you see?

(HE BRIEFLY ENCOURAGES A FEW GUESSES AND MAY IMPROVISE A RESPONSE)

When people say "Art therapy" - DING - that is mine as well. Musicians and writers quote me all the time. For instance, I came up with "Synchronicity" before Sting stole it from me. I'm even part of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". Just look at the cover! I'm one of those people! I don't even like rock 'n roll! Yet here we are.

Now forgive me... I do not have time to psychoanalyze all of you tonight. Although some of you look like you might actually need some help to be perfectly honest. Especially you.