ACT 2 SCENE 4: The Revelation

(There is no song this week but this crucial scene leads up to one of the final songs, which I will release next week. It has been slightly revised. Enjoy!)

SCENE FOUR

MUSIC: A FREUDIAN SLIP OF THE JUNG (PIANO INST)

CARL

After this episode I disentangled myself from Dr. Freud's problems. I did hear that he had indeed gone on a vacation with Minna in the Alps. I do not know if it was to visit that special doctor to take care of their little "mistake" - as he called it. But those that saw them said that they were disguised as a married couple and that they appeared to be very much in love. Also, sources told me that this had not been their only such trip to the Alps.

(FREUD AND MINNA JOIN TOGETHER IN THE PICTURE FRAME WHERE MARTHA USUALLY STANDS)

SFX: SOFT MURMER OF CROWD

On March 27, 1913 in Munich I was scheduled to address my colleagues at the Psychoanalytic Congress regarding my paper On the Psychology and Pathology of So-Called Occult Phenomena. A snappy title I thought.

SFX: CRICKETS

No? This was the last time I had any contact with Dr. Freud. It was the most public and most embarrassing of our confrontations. I stood there about to speak as I stand here today. All of a sudden from the corner of my eye I saw a man running towards me from the wings, flapping his arms like a pelican.

(WE SEE FREUD RUNNING AND FLAPPING HIS ARMS IN SLOW MOTION)

He was yelling...

SIGMUND AND CARL

(SLOW MOTION DEEP VOICES)

No Carl! Don't do it!

CARL

(STILL WITH DEEP SLOW VOICE)

Dr. Freud!

SIGMUND

(SPEAKING NORMALLY)

What is wrong with your voice? Are you having a stroke?

CARL

No I was stuck in time.

SIGMUND

(EXASPERATED)

Do not present this research Carl. You have a chance to redeem yourself. You are destroying your own career!

CARL

I do not see how I could possibly destroy my career by telling my colleagues the evidence I have uncovered.

SIGMUND

I must insist! You will be ostracized. Talking about ghosts and goblins? Have you lost the plot? Carl, you are making a mistake!

CARL

You are not one to speak to me about mistakes! You were right. You did lose your authority over me.

SIGMUND

And you are getting me back for being a flawed father by ruining all of the work we have strived towards as a community. Don't do it!

(HE GRABS CARL'S ARM. CARL RIPS HIS ARM AWAY)

CARL

Now if you'll excuse me! It is time to set things right. To move all of us away from your sexual obsessions.

(TO THE AUDIENCE)

Then, without warning, he stopped cold and fainted. The room erupted in a panic.

(MINNA AND MARTHA START SCREAMING AND FLAILING THEIR ARMS FOR JUST A FEW SECONDS AND THEN STOP ABRUPTLY)

(CARL HOLDS SIGMUND IN HIS LAP ON THE COUCH)

SIGMUND

Did you deliver the paper?

CARL

(SLIGHTLY PISSED OFF)

No. I didn't have a chance after you fainted.

SIGMUND

(RELIEVED)

Oh good. Good. Then all is not lost.

CARL

(EXASPERATED BUT SOFTENING)

Dr. Sigmund Freud. What will I do with you?

(HE STROKES FREUD'S HAIR)

SIGMUND

I never wanted to be a father figure to you, you know?

CARL

I never asked you to be my father. I had a father.

SIGMUND

Oh, do you want to talk about it?

CARL

No.

SIGMUND

(HE LAUGHS GENTLY)

Oh Carl, can you ever forgive me?

CARL

Forgive you?

SIGMUND

Yes forgive me Carl for I have... heh heh... sinned.

CARL

Another confession? I might faint myself if I hear any more confessions.

SIGMUND

The dancer with the mask... Remember? From my dream?

CARL

Yes of course. It was Minna. I knew all along. I mean only an imbecile would not be able to see...

SIGMUND

No. No it wasn't Minna.

(HE SHUSHES CARL WITH HIS FINGERS)

It was... you.

CARL

(PAUSE)

But you said the dancer kissed you with her...tongue.

SIGMUND

It was your tongue, Jung. I have felt a homosexual attraction to you for many years.

(FREUD IS PRESSING HIS FINGER TO CARL'S MOUTH. ALMOST STICKING HIS FINGER RIGHT IN. CARL IS ASTONISHED AND LETS GO OF FREUD. FREUD BUMPS HIS HEAD ON THE COUCH)

OW!

CARL

(STANDING UP AND TRYING TO EXPLAIN IT AWAY)

Maybe it's not a homosexual feeling. Not everything is about sex you know. I mean sometimes I look at you and think you are quite handsome. I mean... not handsome per se. But...I think... if I were a woman... I sure would want to... you know...

SIGMUND

(SUDDENLY HOPEFUL)

Oh! Really? Carl? Let's be honest with each other. For once. I feel it too.

MUSIC SWELLS

CARL

(LOOKS AROUND FOR THE SOURCE OF THE MUSIC. HE IS STIFF AND UNCOMFORTABLE. BUT THEN HE SOFTENS WITH THE MUSIC)

I mean. Let's say, for the sake of psychological honesty... And just between you and me. Sometimes after we have had a fascinating conversation,  or even an argument,  I ...can't seem to get my mind off of you.

(SIGMUND REACHES OUT HIS HAND TO CARL. CARL SITS BACK DOWN ON THE COUCH. THEY HOLD HANDS)

(Next week is the song "Some Sort of Weakness". I will publish it on Monday Sept. 27/21. See you then!)