ACT 1 SCENE 2: The Religious Debate

(This occurs right after "The Cigar Song"  and continues Scene 2. This part of the scene centers on the most striking difference between the two psychiatrists: Freud was a strict atheist and Jung was deeply religious. This is where they first really discover this difference. Also, the time period is very sexist. So just a heads up.)

MINNA

We were wondering what your religion is Dr. Jung?

SIGMUND

(OFFENDED)

I wasn't wondering!

(PAUSE. THEY ALL LOOK AT CARL.)

CARL

My father was a Protestant preacher. But as I have become older I grow fonder of Catholicism to be honest...

(SIGMUND STARTS COUGHING VIOLENTLY)

CARL

(ALARMED)

Are you all right Sir?

SIGMUND

(LAUGHING)

You went from inhaling to swallowing, Dr. Jung. Surely you must realize that all religions are simply nonsense.

MARTHA

Sigmund!

SIGMUND

I do not discriminate. I would even include several aspects of our own Judaism, my dear.

(MARTHA SCOFFS)

CARL

Well, I would respectfully agree with your wife Dr. Freud. I think religion is quite important. Especially in matters related to the unconscious.

SIGMUND

I must say I am quite surprised to hear that coming from a man of science. Do you question Darwin's proof of evolution as well? Come now!

(HE STOMPS HIS CAN TO MAKE HIS POINT.)

CARL

Not at all. I simply view religion as something that you can interpret in the same way you would interpret a dream. Our minds and souls...

SIGMUND

Souls!??

CARL

Yes they create religion in much the same way we create a dream. That is my theory anyhow. Wouldn't you agree Mrs. Freud?

SIGMUND

I do not know why you are asking her. She has no skills to answer this question. She's just a woman.

MARTHA

I'm flattered that you would ask me Dr. Jung. To me religion is more tangible than my dreams. In fact I stopped dreaming quite a long time ago. When was that? When did we get married Sigmund?

SIGMUND

(He turns his back to her)

The difference of course is that a dream is something that actually exists in our unconscious minds...

MARTHA

(INTERRUPTING SIGMUND)

SEPTEMBER 13th. 1886!

SIGMUND

(IGNORING HER)

We remember it...

MARTHA