Twenty Two

Lux

I sat in the waiting room of the hospital. Oddly enough, it was nearly empty, except for Dominic, Kai, and I.

We were waiting for Mr. and Mrs. Andiacchi to arrive.

All I could hear was Dominic rapidly tapping his foot and Kai's quiet sobs.

"Griffin's not answering his phone.", I told them.
"What in the hell happened? Who would do that to her?", Kai asked.
"Don't worry. I'm going to get who did this to my sister.", Dominic threatened.

I grabbed his hand and nodded.

I saw Tony, Valeria, Giovanni, and Victor walk in through the doors.

"Where is she?", Tony asked.
"She has a ruptured spleen. She was rushed to surgery. She also has three broken ribs, a broken hand, and a broken nose. The EMT said it looked like someone tried to stomp her to death.", I told him.

The men's eyes darkened and they all clenched their jaw.

"Dad, we have to get who did this to her."
"Don't worry, son. I will."

"Are you here for Karina Andiacchi?", a nurse asked.

We all stood up and nodded.

"She's still in surgery. The doctor is confident that he'll be able to repair her internal damage and she'll make a full recovery. Due to the nature of this attack, the police have her clothes and cell phone. They will be in contact with you."

We nodded and he walked away.

"She's going to be fine.", I heard Kai tell herself.

"I just remembered. This morning- well yesterday morning, Karina told me she was going to see Griffin after class. Maybe he knows why she was in the woods."
"Who in the hell is Griffin?", Tony asked.
"He's Karina's boyfriend, dad. They've been dating for about a year, on and off."
"Why wouldn't she tell us? Could he have done this to her?", Valeria asked.
"No, Griffin wouldn't hurt her. He worships Karina."
"Everyone has their breaking point.", Victor said.
"Find out why she was there.",Tony ordered Victor and Giovanni. They nodded before walking away.

"My poor baby. God, I wished she never left home."
"You couldn't have known she would be attacked, Mrs. Andiacchi.", I said.

She nodded and grabbed her husband's hand.

It wasn't until an hour and a half later that Victor and Giovanni returned.

I looked over and saw that Kai fell asleep.

"What do you got?", Tony asked.
"We had Luca hack her phone remotely and go through her texts.", Giovanni said.
"That's a huge invasion of her privacy.", I said.
"It's the only way to get whoever did this.", Dominic told me.

"Griffin and her had a date planned in those woods. He picked her up from class yesterday afternoon." Victor said.
"Why would Griffin attack her? He loves her.", I asked.

"Good news everyone. Karina's surgery went well and she's now recovering in her room. She's awake and able to speak to you all."

I woke Kai up before we all rushed to her room. She looked so small in that bed.

"Mom! Dad!", she faintly yelled as she saw her parents. They rushed over and carefully hugged her.

"My baby. I'm so sorry this happened to you", Valeria said to her daughter.
"It was Griffin. We had a fight and he..,", she trailed off as tears rolled down her face.

"It's okay, baby girl. We're going to take care of this.", Tony said to her.
"No, don't hurt him. This was my fault, daddy."
"Baby, why would you think that?"

Rina looked from her parents to Kai and then down on her lap.

"Karina, what is it?"
"Griffin and I have been dating since March. When I came back to school, I confessed that I had been cheating on him for most of that time. We broke up. He eventually forgave me and we've been hanging out a lot these last few months. I decided to tell him what happened with Kai and I a few months ago and he went crazy."
"What happened between you and Kai?", I asked.

She looked at Kai before looking at me. Kai's eyes never left Karina.

"I kissed her. I was upset about my break up and Karina was being so nice to me. I'm so sorry, Karina."
"After Kai kissed me, I kissed her and I still don't know why, but Griffin didn't like hearing that at all. He said I cheated on him and that he couldn't trust me. He started to pull my hair and he dragged me off the truck. I tried to fight him back, but I couldn't. He was too strong. He started stomping on me while he told me how much of a whore I am."

"Karina, no one has the right to put their hands on you. You did nothing wrong, baby. Daddy's going to handle this, okay?"

She nodded and hugged her dad. She began bawling in his chest.

We decided to give Karina a moment with her parents and walked outside her room.

"This is my fault.", Kai said.
"No, this is Griffin's fault and we're going to get him for this.", Dominic said.

I grabbed his hand and placed my head on his shoulder.

"Let's give her some space and go back to the apartment. Kai, we'll meet you there."

She nodded and left.

"We could've took her back with us."
"I don't want to go back to my apartment right now. I want to go to Griffin's."
"Lux, you're not getting involved in this."
"She's my best friend, Dominic. That bastard beat  and stomped her until she was unconscious and left her for dead! He's going to pay for this."
"Yes, he will, but I can't let you do this. I can't let you have this on your conscious, love. We can handle this."

I sighed and he kissed my cheek. I looked over and saw that Victor and Giovanni were smiling at us.

"You picked a good one, Giovanni.", Giovanni said.
"I did.", Dominic said, looking at me.

Tony walked out of the room and closed the door.

"Let's do this."

Dominic kissed my cheek.

"I'll see you at the apartment, my love."
"No, you're not coming. Go back to the apartment with Lux. We'll see you two back here in a few hours."
"But dad-."
"I won't repeat myself. Go."

The three men left to go do god knows what to Griffin.