Two

Lux

I sat in front of my best friend and Bruno in Karina's room.

Karina looked like she was in deep thought.

"Karina.", I said, grabbing her attention.

"I don't know where to start."

"You said your dad was in the freaking mafia. I-I...I don't even know how to process that."

"It's always been so normal to me. My parents got out when Giovanni and I were little. My godparents took over after that."
"Are they still over the mafia?", I asked out of curiosity.

She looked down for a second and let out a shaky breath.

"No, my, uh..my go..my godmother was murdered.", she struggled to say.

Bruno rubbed her back and grabbed her hand.

"I'm so sorry."
"Her name was Aria. That's how my sister got her name. She was amazing. I remember we used to play near the creek.", she smiled sadly.

"When she died, Uncle Victor ran the mafia with Uncle Giovanni. They are the sweetest uncles in the world. You wouldn't think they would be capable of hurting anyone when you look at them."
"Are they still over the mafia?"
"No, Bruno just became the leader. My Uncles became dads and realized they never really had a family of their own, so they left."

My eyes shot to Bruno. I can't believe I was sitting in front of a real mafia boss.

"Y-you are a...mafia boss..."
"I am."
"How old are you?", I eyed him as he caressed Karina's thigh.

"He's older, okay. Look, that is a long story of its own. You wanted to know about the mafia.", Karina said as she moved his hand and sat up straighter.
"I'm just so confused."
"I guess I should start from the beginning."

I nodded.

"Before my parents were born, the Russians and Italians were at war. Eventually, a truce was proposed and the first both son and daughter of the mafia boss' were supposed to marry and end the feud, but it fell through. The feud continued until around the time Gio and I were born. My parents are good people, Lux. I know you may not think so right now, but they are so caring and compassionate."
"I know they are good people. I mean, they have to be. Look how you and Giovanni turned out.", I told her.

"My mom ended up marrying a man her father arranged for her. He was an abusive monster. My dad rescued my mom and they fell in love.", she said with a smile.

"Did her husband ever come back for her?"
"Yes, I think my dad killed him. I'm not really sure. They don't like talking about this stuff with us."

I nodded.

"Not long after that, my mom was pregnant and engaged to my father. When I was little, my dad stepped down and my Uncle Giovanni and Aunt Aria took over. They were so good together. One day, the leader of the Irish mob put a hit out on my mom. She thought my parents were still in charge and she thought that she killed my mom, but she killed Aria. Aria was pregnant.", she said with tears in her eyes.
"Did the Italians retaliate?"

She nodded.

"My uncles took a team to the Irish mob's manor. Uncle Giovanni killed her. After he killed her, he killed everyone in her bloodline, except one."

Bruno looked at her and then looked down. He knows something.

"Why'd he only leave one person alive?"

"Because my mom told him not to. The one he kept alive, her name is Tamara. She was abandoned at birth by the Irish mob. She was the leader's sister. She was innocent, so they spared her."
"Where is she now?"