Nine

Karina

After about an hour of swimming, the three of us got out to take showers.

Lux grabbed her things and headed to the guest bathroom.

I sighed as I stepped into my shower and felt the hot water against my skin. Steamed filled the room and fogged the shower doors.

Twenty minutes later, I stepped out of the shower and grabbed a cool towel and dried off. After moisturizing my body, I slipped on an old Rolling Stones T-shirt, black biker shorts, and my fur covered black Ugg slippers.

When I walked back in my room, I found Lux throwing her wet hair in a ponytail. I sat on my bed and began brushing my long brown hair.

I looked up when I heard a knock at the door and saw mom standing there with my uncle Giovanni. I ran and hugged him.

"Uncle Giovanni!"

"Hey kid.", he said as he swooped me in his arms.

"Lux, this is my Uncle Giovanni.", I told her.

"Yeah, I got that.", she laughed.

"Uncle G, this is my best friend, Lux."

Uncle Giovanni placed his hand on Lux's arm.

"It's very nice to meet you, Lux. Abri talks about you all the time."

"Abri?"

"I hate when you call me that. My middle name is Abri and my uncles know how much I hate it."

"I love that name. I wish you and your brother used your middle names more often.", mom said.

"What's Giovanni's?"

"Dominic. I don't think he likes it."

"I actually prefer it.", my brother said as he walked in.

"You do?", Uncle G asked.

"Yeah, it's way too confusing sharing a name sometimes."

"Well, alright. You're Dominic to me now.", Lux said.

"Well, Dominic, why don't you take Lux to the dining room? It's time for dinner.", mom said.

"Okay, mom. Come on, Lux.", he said as he left the room with Lux.

"I'm assuming you aren't here because you wanted to say hello.", I said to my uncle.

He sighed and walked past me. I sat down on an armchair.

"I need you to be a bridesmaid in the wedding."

"No.", I said quickly.

"Karina!", mom shouted.

"Isn't it enough that I'm attending the wedding? Why do I have to be in the wedding party? Doesn't she have friends?"

"She has your mother and Juliana."

"I mean outside of my family. What about friends from wherever she's from?"