Five

Giovanni

After the awkwardness of last night, Lux and I called it a night.

The apartment door closing woke me up. I looked up and saw Karina coming in and trying to rush to her room.

"Good morning."

"Oh! Good morning."

"Sit down."

She sighed and sat down beside me.

"What is it?"

"You've been acting weird. What happened last night?"

"I was just tired."

"Kai went straight to her room after you did. Did you get into an argument or something?"

"What? No."

"Are you sure? She looked upset."

"She looked upset?", she asked with a hint of anger in her voice.

"Karina, what happened?"

She sighed and turned to me.

"Last night, on our way back from the store, I was talking to Kai about my problems. You know, being my self-deprecating self and she told me how lucky Griffin is to even know me, and how beautiful and amazing I am.", she took a pause.

It was hard not to notice how she was trying to hide her smile.

"I think I said, "what's the point in being beautiful and amazing if the man I love stopped loving me.", and then she said that I was wasting my time chasing after boys, and....she kissed me."

I looked at my sister, wide-eyed.

"She kissed you?!", I nearly yelled.

"Shh!", she shushed me.

"Yes, she kissed me. I pulled away and we just came home...God, why did she kiss me? She had to have known I'm straight after hearing about all of my boy problems. She couldn't be that clueless. She's never shown any interest in me before. Or at least I don't think she has. We barely even know each other."

"Maybe you should ask her."

She frowned. Kai started coming down the hall and froze when she saw Karina.

"I don't know what to say to her. I mean, I want to keep being her friend and she's come such a long way, but is she even going to want to be my friend after I rejected her?"

"Of course, i still want to be your friend."

Karina turned around and her face softened.

"I'm so sorry, Karina. I don't know why I kissed you. The last thing I want to do I is make you uncomfortable."

"It's okay. I-I just- I mean... Was there something I said or did to make you think I-."

"No..I-I...I don't know. I'm sorry. I promise it won't happen again."

Karina nodded and stretched her arms out to hug Kai. Kai gave her a quick hug and said an even quicker goodbye.

"So, are you two good?"

"I think so..."

"You think?

"I don't know. Something still feels off with us."

"Maybe she's just feeling guilty about kissing you."

"Maybe.", she mumbled, deep in thought.

Lux

I walked into the kitchen to grab a water and saw Giovanni sitting at the counter making sandwiches. There was also a bowl of original Lay's chips, a share size pack of peanut butter m&m's, and two cans of lime flavored Lacroix in front of him.

"Is this all for you?", I asked, concerned.

He chuckled and placed the last sandwich on the plate.

"No, Karina eats a lot when something's bothering her. I was gonna bring her some food and keep her company."

"You're a good brother, Giovanni."

"Thank you.", he said as he blushed at the compliment.

He carried all the food on a tray and headed to Rina's room.

I was in the middle of making a sandwich when Kai walked in the apartment. She looked at me before looking down.

"What did you do to her?"

She looked up again and her eyes were filled with tears.

"I'm sorry. Rina and I already talked. She forgave me for kissing her. Sh-."

"You did what?!"

"I kissed her. I still don't know why. I've never even had a crush on a girl, let alone kiss one before. She was talking about Griffin and I couldn't stop thinking about what it'd be like to kiss her and to have her kiss me. I know it was wrong. I promised that I'll never do that again."

"Do you have feelings for her?"

"Of course not. She's just my friend, Lux. Besides, she's in love with Griffin. I just hope she's not uncomfortable with me."

Karina

"It just makes me feel a little uncomfortable, you know. Ezra is like 10 years older than Aria and HE KNEW THAT when he saw her in that bar.", I explained to my brother.

My kind brother decided to bring me all my favorite snacks and wanted to watch my favorite show with me.

"Wait, he knew who she was before they met?!", Gio asked me, wide eyed.

I matched his facial expression and nodded.

"Now, I'm uncomfortable."

I laughed at him and grabbed another handful of M&M's.

After a few more episodes, I looked over to see Giovanni has fallen asleep. I cleaned up our snacks and uneaten food and took them to the kitchen.

After putting the plates and bowl in the sink, I heard a knock at the door.

I opened the door and nearly gasped.

"Hi."