Excuses

"Um, hi Dad," I said awkwardly. I only had bad feelings about this.

"You are supposed to be in school" He said as he looked down at me.

Possible excuses ran through my head but I'm sure he wouldn't believe me not matter what I would say. My reputation had been tainted and Dad never respected me anyway.

"You had better give me a good reason as to why you are out of school, or so help me you will be back in the cellar for the next week," He stared me down.

"Zed, did you get the stuff?" Russia asked as he walked around the corner. I looked over to him nervously, trying to quietly let him know what is going on. He seemed to understand but he was just as unsure as I was.

"Well? You obviously don't have an excuse," He snapped angrily. He reached for my arm and grabbed onto my wrist. I looked up at him and familiar experiences ran through my head. I felt scared and frozen.

"Hey! What are you doing to that poor boy?!" I could hear a lady shout. She ran up and stood in between me and Dad. I was kind of thankful for her. Dad let go of me and I ran away from him and stood behind Russia who stood defensively in front of me.

I could feel myself begin to hyperventilate as I watched Dad and this woman argue.

"He's my son!" Dad kept shouting.

"He is terrified of you and you look nothing alike!" The lady shouted back.

"He's adopted!" Dad shouted.

"Yeah, like that is any excuse!"

Russia ushered me into the next isle as the shouting match continued. Russia hugged me and told me that I was going to be alright. I never really saw him as the comforting type, but in hindsight, it makes sense. He was the oldest in a family with an abusive father. Russia was just being protective.

It wasn't long before there was a security guard getting in between the shouting match.

"I'm okay now," I muttered quietly to Russia. He stopped hugging me.

"Let's just buy the stuff and meet the others," Russia said. I nodded my head.

"Didn't do anything wrong! He is my son!" I could hear dad shout. I felt bad, but then again, I guess he deserved this.

As we bought the food, Russia kept his attention on where my dad was. I put the food up on the counter when I recognised the cashier.

"Hey Zach," She smiled.

"Your Am- uh, Eric's friend... Ellie was it?" I asked, trying my best to remember.

"It's Elise," She laughed. Russia seemed to get confused at the fact I was talking to a human.

"Oh yeah." I said slightly embarrassed.

"So, what was going on other there?" She asked.

"It's complicated," I muttered.

"We should probably go now," Russia urged.

"You're right. I'll see you around, Elise," I said as I paid for the stuff.

I was almost out of the supermarket when I heard Dad calling out to me, I felt embarrassed and continued walking while Russia walked behind me.

"Why were you talking to that human?" Russia asked as soon as we were outside.

"I know it I'm not supposed to, but America works with her, and he introduced me," I explained.

"Isn't talking to humans against the rules?" Russia asked.

"I guess. But the only reason for that is because of the heartbreak that comes when forming relationships or friendships with them since we will out live them," I shrugged.

"Huh, I never thought about it that way. But why is America working with humans?" He shrugged.

"Capitalism," I  answered blandly.

"That makes sense," He rolled his eyes.

"New Zealand!" I could hear Dad shout behind me. Cold chills ran down my spine, I didn't dare look back. Russia and I booked it back to the park. By the time we made it I was so out of breath and the others were slightly confused.

"I don't think he is following us," Russia said in between breaths.

"What happened?" Bela asked.

"My dad saw me at the supermarket," I said uncomfortably.

"Sh!t dude, do you think he will call the school?" Brazil asked.

"I hope not, if dad finds out I skipped school, he'll send me back to that human school. Trust me, it sucked too," Wales complained.

"Dad isn't the type to do that, he prefers punishing me directly." I explained.

"Oh, you are right about that one!" Dad shouted from behind me. I couldn't believe no one saw him creep up.

"F#ck." I said simply.

"You are coming with me and are not going to be leaving the cellar until you learn your lesson," He snapped.

"What!? No!" I shouted. I felt my world breaking down around me. We were all shocked and unsure on what to do. I watched as Dad reached out to grab my arm.

"Oh, Mr UK, I didn't think you would be joining us for our excursion," It was Mr Sweden. I took a huge sigh of relief.

"I was not informed about an excursion. And this is quite the random group of kids," Dad said sarcastically.

"This is a special excursion for a mixed welfare program. You were sent an email last week," Mr Sweden explained. He was covering for me.

"A special excursion for 'special' kids," Dad scoffed, glaring at me.

"Do you ever wonder why New Zealand is in the welfare program?" Mr Sweden asked.

They went back and forth until Mr Sweden convinced dad to leave. It was really impressive. I wish I could lie off the top of my head like that. Mr Sweden turned to look at us as soon as dad was out of sight. I still knew that I was going to be in trouble when I got home.

"You are lucky I know your history with him, but you guys had better be honest with me about what you are do out of school?" He asked.

"Well what are you doing out of school!?" Brazil asked back.

"I got the afternoon off, but I need your response okay? You aren't in trouble." Mr Sweden responded.