Stalkers

"So, it has been a while," Maori sighed. She pulled out some vegetables and began chopping them up.

"Things have been complicated." I explained.

"I can smell the smoke on your breath and you have that look in your eyes." She said.

"Look in my eyes?" I said, confused.

"Yeah. You have this look in your eyes every time you get unreasonable stress out," Maori said.

"Is it that obvious."

"Okay, look me in the eyes. Do you think I don't know what's going on?" She said sternly.

"I suppose not," I mumbled.

"Don't hide things from me. We are family and you know how I feel about liars," She said, turning back to chopping up vegetables.

I stood there silently, not really knowing what more to say. I wanted to let her know, but I was also afraid of it. And what would I tell her? There is so much, but she probably already knows most of it.

"You could at least help me, cut up the meat for me," Maori demanded, pointing at the raw meat on the plate. I picked up a knife and started cutting.

There was silence between the two of us, excluding the cutting sounds. It wasn't quite awkward, but still mildly uncomfortably. I was going to break the silence when I heard a sound. It sounded like someone falling over.

I looked over at Maori. She rolled her eyes and let out an annoyed sigh. She placed down the knife and grabbed a broom that was sitting in the corner of the kitchen.

"They're back again," She sighed under her breath.

"Again? Who are they?" I asked. She had never complained about anything like this before.

"Just some guys that come around my house. I never know what they are doing, but they are the most annoying people ever," She muttered.

"Maybe I can talk to them?" I offered. I knew she could defend herself easily, but if these guys were coming back, maybe I could convince them otherwise.

Maori nodded and handed me the broom. I walked up to the front door and opened it. I couldn't hear anything, or see anything for that matter. The sun decided to go to bed early it seemed.

I stepped outside and shut the door behind me.

"Who is there?!" I shouted. I heard a small scuffle from one of the bushes that lined the walkway to the house.

"I know you are there!" I shouted. I walked towards the bush that seemed to make the noise. I held the broom in my hands, prepared if I needed to defend myself.

I heard a small sneeze come from the bush, and on instinct, I stabbed the bush with the handle of the broom.

"OW!" I heard someone shriek.

"Don't hurt him!" I heard another voice come from behind me and grabbed me around the neck and pulled me to the ground. I felt like I was choking.

"Kiwi!!" Maori shouted. She ran out the door to help me. I wasn't sure what she did, but it worked and I was able to breathe again.

"Mahue tenei wahi!" Maori shouted (Leave this place!).

"Abby, we need to leave!" One of them shouted.

"Abby? Wait! Aboriginal!? Torres?" Something finally clicked in my head.

"New Zealand?" Torres said, confused.

"Kei te mohio koe ki a raatau?" Maori asked (You know them?).

"Ae. He roa te korero." I responded (Yeah. It's a long story).

"What are you guys doing here? You know what? Tomorrow, tell me tomorrow, I'm too tired." I muttered. They were capable of finding me anyway.

They stood up and left promptly. Maori helped me to my feet and looked at me with confusion.

"I'll tell you over dinner," I mumbled. Maori didn't argue with me, she just nodded and we went inside.

Maori finished making us dinner while I sat down in the lounge. She brought some dinner and sat down next to me.

"F#ck, that hurt," I groaned as I rubbed the back of my head.

"You have been hanging around with the Europeans far too long." She muttered bitterly.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to swear,"

"You should think twice before you speak, but either way, how do you know those two stalkers?" She asked.

"Alright, so you know Australia, right?"

"Of course, he makes himself known to everyone he meets,"

"Yeah, well, those two are kind of like his... natives," I explained.

"So they are like me," Maori followed along.

"I can say for certain why they were here, but they are pretty harmless,"

"The little one got you in a chokehold and pulled you to the ground," Maori stated.

"Yeah, maybe. But they were doing it out of self-defence."

"Okay, so you knew them through Australia,"

"Kind of. Remember when I told you I was taking the blame for something Australia did?"

"Oh no,"

"Abby, or Aboriginal, was the main victim of what Australia did,"

"Kiwi, you really need to stay away from the white men," Maori sighed.

"You and I both know I didn't have a choice. But either way, Australia is my brother," I argued.

"Correction: adopted brother,"

"Yes, I know. But still, I have to look out for him."

"Maybe we should stop talking about this. Finish your dinner so you can go to bed," Maori muttered. She seemed to have finished her dinner way before me.

"You sound like my-" I cut myself off before I could finish. I knew Maori was sensitive when I talked about my 'other' family. She was hard to get to.

"Good night," She mumbled. She stood up and left the room, taking her plate to the kitchen. I sat there in the lounge, wondering what I was doing with my life. As the week progressed, things have gotten more and more complicated.

I finished my dinner and put it in the kitchen sink. Maori must have left to go to bed herself. I walked back to the lounge and made myself comfortable on the couch. Tomorrow is going to be interesting. But at least Bela will be back at school.