Chapter 24: Hear the screams? That's the sound of my last brain cell leaving

Start from the beginning

"Who are-"

"Hyper." The dark-skinned boy climbed through the window, taking a seat next to the blond-haired boy. "Race? Right? Slip won't shut up about you."

"I'm not fooling myself here?" Race asked softly. "Chasing- chasing after someone who doesn't-"

"I'm not here for the big brother talk thing." Hyper shook his head. "That is absolutely ridiculous."

Race stayed silent, feeling embarrassed.

Hyper remained quiet as well, both fidgeting quietly.

"She likes you." Hyper answered.

"Yep- right- thanks-" Race stumbled over his words, trying to get an answer out as quickly as it would leave his mouth. "So- so what did you want to talk-"

"Street rat's aren't made to have happy endings." Hyper crossed his arms. "What makes you think you'll get one?"

"I thought you weren't here for a big brother talk?" Race raised an eyebrow.

"I'm not." Hyper shrugged. "Think of it as a friendly talk- as friends."

Race shook his head. "I don't know if I'll get a happy ending. I don't know if I'll get an ending. I don't even know if we'll win the strike! Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, right?"

Hyper smiled slightly, as if Race had just passed his test.

"Smart."

"Why are you asking me this? Of all people." Race tilted his head to the side. "You don't even know me."

"I know of you." Hyper glanced away. "Well, enough to know we're similar."

"How's that?"

Hyper sighed deeply, as if the question pained him to his very core.

"Have you ever felt like nobody was there?"

"What?"

Have you ever felt forgotten, in the middle of nowhere?

"People hide behind things. A smile,"

"You good Hyper?" Books sighed.

Hyper smiled, as bright as he could muster.

"I'm alright! Don't worry about me."

Have you ever felt like you could disappear?

"fake optimism,"

"How's your leg Crutch?" Jack questioned.

"Me? Come one Jack! I don't need help, I'm okay!" Crutchie beamed, his smile wavering for a second.

Like you could fall...

"fake strength,"

"Aren't you scared?" Finch wondered aloud.

"Me? Scared?" Albert flexed his arm. "Never!"

...and no one would hear...

"jokes,"

"Race, sometime you'll have to come to terms with the fact that Stasia's gon-"

"I already came to terms with it!" Race crossed his arms, smiling. "Don't worry about me Blink, I mean, you'll never be as good at betting but you'll do."

"Hey!"

Well... let that lonely feeling wash away.

"but sometimes they hide behind everything and nothing at the same time."