Chapter 457-458

Chapter 457 In the Temple, An Unexpected Meet at the Back of the Mountain

Mo Xuetong’s eyes fell on the person in front of her. Judging from his clothes, he did not look like those doing the hard work. His hands were thin but clean with his fingernails trimmed smoothly. And his long blue robe, no matter from the clothing material or the embroidered lines and buttons on the neckline, were very exquisite, unlike an ordinary one.

Obviously, the man was either from a wealthy or a noble family. But how could such a person appear on the road alone and push on the trip the Puguang Temple with his sick body? A hint of suspicion flashed in Mo Xuetong’s eyes.

Mo Xuetong took two steps back and asked with a calm smile, “Sir, where are your family members?”

“In the early morning, I didn’t wait for the servants and set off ahead. But unexpectedly, when I walked here, it was too hot for me to hold on, and shocked the lady. But for you, as I suffered a relapse, I would have died. Thank you for saving my life.” The young man put down the coachman’s holding arms with difficulty and held his fists with hands, trying to give a salute to Mo Xuetong. But such a small movement almost exhausted him.

“Sir, you’re welcome. We are also going to the Puguang Temple. Since we are going the same way and I happen to have an empty carriage with some sundries behind, would you mind making do with it?”

Although the carriage did not hit the person, he did fall in front of the carriage. If Mo Xuetong just left him behind, the man would have nothing but a road that led nowhere. Judging from his relapse, although it was hard to tell what the disease was, his condition looked rather critical. If he did not take a good rest, something terrible would happen to him.

His good manners showed that he came from a great family. Even if there was anything else happening to him, it was out of Mo Xuetong’s charge.

“Well… Thank you so much, lady.” The young man apparently knew that he was in poor condition, so he hesitated for a moment and did not refuse, and saluted to Mo Xuetong respectfully to express his gratitude.

Mo Lan called two nannies from behind, helped the young man to the last carriage, and let a clever nanny take care of him. Mo Xuetong, along with Mo Ye and Mo Lan, got on the carriage again. They hurried to the Puguang Temple.

It was getting hotter. But since they were on the main road, there were many carriages coming and going. Hot as it was, not a few people went to the Puguang Temple to offer incense to Buddha under the burning sun. A few carriages were seen to pass through them from time to time.

Several strangely dressed people hid behind the trees, and a man looking like a leader asked impatiently, “What? Haven’t found him?” Under such a scorching sun, no one would be in a good mood. Looking at the passing carriages, he found nothing unusual.

“No. We saw clearly and found no one rushed out.”

The leader looked at the sun rising to the sky and thought that they could not wait any longer. He stood up and said, “Don’t wait. Let’s go back first.”

“Don’t wait?”

“Don’t wait. It is so hot, and he has a relapse. Maybe he has died in a ditch already.” The leader replied with frustration and went back alone to the road where they had come. The people behind him looked at each other, and followed him without saying more words.

The resonant bell of the temple startled birds in the forest, as well as the drowsy Mo Xuetong. She rubbed her bleary eyes and held Mo Lan’s hand to get off the carriage. A monk usher had been waiting in front of the temple. When seeing two carriages coming, he knew it must be the noble guests to offer incense, so he made a bow respectfully.