10. Alumni

⚔

Beta Read by AProudMuslimah

After assigning more personnel to investigate the researchers, Umair began to pack some materials to take with him.

Sinan raised an eyebrow. "Chief, are you off anywhere?"

"Hmm, ah yes." Umair put down a flyer.

Sinan looked through it. A small-scale fundraiser was being held in the main campus of Laith Academy in Gayyan, located to the northeast of the country. It was an internal event, set to take place in two days.

"You're going there?" Sinan asked in surprise.

"Naturally," Umair replied. "Though the lab at suspect in not located there, I may come across some important information. Also, there's someone I haven't seen in a while. I'll be away for at most a week."

Sinan nodded. "No problem, I can handle things here."

Umair inclined his head in acknowledgement.

Sector 12 was situated in the middle of Hasa province. While Laith Academy sprawled over the root of Al-'Amood mountains in Gayyan province. Travelling between the two didn't take very long, and since Umair was travelling alone, the travel time reduced drastically.

He arrived at the town a mile away from Laith by dusk next day. This was the closest town to the academy, called Jubail. Umair had many memories within the alleyways and market district of this place. As he walked through the streets to get to an inn to spend the night, images flashed past in his mind overlaying the current hustle bustle of the people.

Usually at this time of the year, the town wouldn't be so busy, but the upcoming fundraiser must have attracted many locals who live a little farther away, as well as draw in families of current and former students.

He recalled many days spent eating and drinking in the restaurants to celebrate the end of exams. He didn't have a home to return to, so both his Eid would be spent here. The little town festivals and decoration especially held a place in his heart.