The Final

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

ONE MONTH LATER

Noor

"Oh, you chimpanzee!" Zaid screamed at the TV.

"Zaid, calm down." Zafar Papa told him, glancing towards Shezan pointedly.

We were back in Lahore, and we were watching the Cricket World Cup T20 Final, featuring Pakistan.

Yes, we'd made it to the finals, and the whole country seemed to be suffering from cricket fever. Every house on every street seemed to be displaying the Pakistani flag, shouts were coming from almost every household, sometimes swearing, sometimes cheers. Every other person could be seen wearing a cricket shirt. 

It was literally a national holiday!

"He could have easily caught the ball!" Zaid looked frustrated.

"That doesn't mean you should call someone a chimpanzee." Mamma shook her head at him. "Imagine all the stress the poor bachay are facing."

*Bachay: kids.

"If they let stress overwhelm them, they should choose a different field." Zaid shrugged.

"Every job has stress. But if everyone gives up their dream job because of it, the world would be a much sadder place." Shezan said, wisely.

"Ma Sha Allah, mera akalmand bacha!" Mamma ruffled his hair, proudly.

*"My wise kid."

"If Pakistan wins, can we go to McDonalds?" Shezan asked his Dado.

"Shezi, you just had pizza yesterday!" His mother walked in, carrying a tray with coffee and tea mugs in it, as well as juice cartons for the kids.

Omar Bhai immediately stood up to take the tray from his wife and set it down on the coffee table.

"But Pakistan wasn't playing yesterday. And today is the final! If we win, we are champions, and that is a cause to celebrate!" Shezan insisted. "Plus, we're related to the captain, so double celebration for us!" 

"That is a fair argument, Zunaira." Mamma smiled.

"Fine." Zunaira Bhabi gave in. "Only because it would be a special occasion if we won."

It felt good, a nation's hope, a nation's excitement, all which could be felt in the air. People were making special prayers for the victory of our team. Omar Bhai said that the Imam at the mosque had even made a special dua for the team after the prayers. Cricket united us all, and I hoped that the result today would give us all a reason to cheer up after the blandness of our daily routine.

It was funny, because the last time we won the T20 World Cup, our local mithai shop had run out of mithai. I'm not kidding! The other shops had queues outside them, as people waited to buy sweets to treat each other. 

"I actually had a special surprise made for you, Shezi." I stood up. "Win or lose, we got to the final, and that is one reason to celebrate!" 

"What is it, Chachi?" He looked excited.

"I'll be right back." I went to the kitchen and pulled out the box from the fridge. I'd forbidden anyone from looking at it, even Zaid. Taking the box back into the living room, I set it on the coffee table. 

Shezan immediately rushed up beside me, grinning happily.

"You can open it." I smiled.

He immediately reached down and opened the box. "Wow!"