Chapter 24 - Excursion

"Bucky, please turn the siren off."

The wailing red and blue flashes persisted.

"Bucky—I thought we were trying to stay under the radar."

"Fine," he sighed, "killjoy."

"What was that?"

"Nothing." Bucky grinned.

I rolled my eyes, unable to suppress a smile. We had driven for approximately nine hours, pausing every so often for a bathroom break or to switch drivers. Speeding in the police car had gotten us farther in our journey than I'd expected. We rationed the snacks Jake or Rosa had stowed in the trunk. The trunk contained an evidence duffle bag too, so Bucky and I changed a few articles of clothing available. Limiting the bloodstains visible on our attire is our best bet to not draw attention.

"When do you want to switch?" I asked.

"I'm fine."

"Okay, well, it's getting late. We should pull off soon. Park the car and rest."

"Sleep in the car?"

"Yeah?"

Bucky hummed in response. He drove us along a back highway for another couple of hours. Making great time, we finally parked for the night on a road just outside Jacksonville.

"I can sleep in the front seat—take the backseat so you can lay down."

"Bucky, I can sleep in the passenger seat—"

"Please. You need it."

I sighed. "So do you," I huffed as he rolled his eyes at me. "Okay—thank you."

I stepped out of the passenger side to climb into the backseat. As I nestled in, my mind collapsed into slumber.

My eyes opened; I found myself stood in the middle of a blackened Triskelion. Only the large eagle statue stood in the chasmic lobby.

"Hello?" I called. My voice echoed in the bleak emptiness.

As I walked about, the only perceptible sound was heels clacking on the tile. I looked down, confusion brewing as I wore one of my father's suits with heels. Abruptly, I heard someone clear their throat.

"Who's there?" I asked. Again, the echo of my voice rang solitary.

"It's me, Jaige," said the voice.

I scrunched my nose. Dad called me 'Jaige', but that didn't sound like Dad at all. The figure emerged from the dark shadows engulfing the place. As the figure comes into focus, I recognized him as the surrounding blackness morphed to hues of blue.

"Bucky?"

He strutted toward me.

"Bucky, I'm so glad it's you."

He gave an earnest smile, and my stomach fluttered. His warm hand held my face; his thumb lightly grazing my cheek.

"I thought I was alone," I whispered. His hand lingered, cupping my cheek and jaw.

"I won't let that happen."

I leaned my head into his hand as I reached my own over his. Bucky's eyes dazzled me, and I couldn't break away. As the corners of his mouth curved into a smile, his image grew fuzzy.

"I need you to know..."

"Bucky? What is it?"

Bucky's hand dissipated from my cheek. His figure blurred further, fading into the background.

"Bucky? Bucky, don't go!" I called. "Bucky—what were you going to say? Wait!"

"Bucky! Bucky, don't go!" I sniffled.

"Jaige. Wake up, please wake up," Bucky clasped my hand in his, using his free hand to shake my uninjured shoulder.

"Bucky—Oh god... I... my dream," I strained to sit up toward the origin of Bucky's voice. Upon locating him behind me, I tearfully leaned into his frame. He had gotten out of the driver's side and opened the backseat door next to my head. He gingerly moved his arm around my torso and held me close. I started to match the regularity of his breathing.

"That... That doesn't usually happen to me," I murmured. "Mine aren't usually so... vivid."

He hummed and held me as my breath steadied.

"I get them all the time."

I swallowed. "I can't imagine having that all the time."

"Are you okay?" he whispered.

"Yes, yeah I am," I leaned back and looked into his eyes. "Bucky... never mind, it's not important."

"What is it?"

"I just... I know it was just a dream, but you're not going to... leave—are you?"

He sighed and held me tighter.

"I couldn't do that to you."