Chapter 15 - Confrontation

"Cap, she's not responding!" Maria yelled over the comms.

"Jenny! Say something!" Shemar sputtered.

"Hey, Sam, gonna need a ride," Steve yelled.

"Roger, let me know when you're ready."

Sam weaved midair to catch a falling Steve. He groaned upon clasping Steve's arm. Not long after they'd stepped foot onto the Charlie helicarrier, a figure busted out from behind a stack of ammunition to knock Steve off the airship.

"Steve!" called Sam.

But before he could rescue Steve, the figure grabbed ahold of Sam's wing and threw him backwards. Sam engaged his wings in time to hover midair, shooting at the attacker. Attempting to fly to Steve, the attacker jerked Sam back by a cord attached to his wing. With an abrupt pull, the attacker ripped Sam's wing clean off. Sam's torso met with a swift kick off the helicarrier.

Sam landed via parachute on the roof of the Triskelion. "Cap, Cap! Come in, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm still on the helicarrier. Where are you?"

"I'm grounded. The suit's down. Sorry, Cap. You gotta find Jenny."

"Don't worry. I got it."

...

I awoke with a terrified start, my face plastered to the glass floor of the helicarrier mainframe

I awoke with a terrified start, my face plastered to the glass floor of the helicarrier mainframe. My heartbeat began slowing upon realizing I was not falling out of the sky.

How long was I out? Had I fallen from the platform?

No—

I was pushed. I gently lifted myself to a seated position, my ears rang in muddled confusion. I was just about to insert the chip when I fell...but how did I fall? Rough hands shoved me. Who shoved me?

I have one guess—but wouldn't he have shot me? Pushing me off the platform didn't guarantee I'd die and—I still had the chip in my hand.

A trigger clicked, the safety disengaged.

I jumped up and spun around to face the voice, scrambling to aim my gun. With my feet firmly planted on the glass of the helicarrier, I immediately recognized the Winter Soldier. He didn't move, he held his armed stance several feet from me. Viscerally, I aimed down to his leg and fired.

He quickly dodged my shot and ran up to kick my gun out of my hands. He drew his own gun again maybe inches from my face. He aimed at me—but did not shoot.

"You're the Winter Soldier," I muttered.

He looked at me for a moment, head slightly cocked but without any change in his eyes. The last time I was this close to the Winter Soldier, I had all but every bit of life beaten from me—I didn't have a chance to appreciate his radiant blue eyes. I cocked my head slightly at him, taking in his appearance—mesmerized by the gray in the hues of blue. I couldn't be sure, but I thought his gun lowered slightly. He appeared disordered, staring me down right back.

Recklessly, I breached communication, "My name is Jennifer—do you recognize me?"

I paused. I initiated conversation with a known assassin entirely too hastily. He could easily shoot me where I stood if it suited his fancy. But he didn't before, so I ventured to speak with the boldness his behavior gave me—still with his gun trained on my face.

You nearly beat me to death, the least you could do is recognize me...

"I-I don't know if you remember, but your name is James Buchanan Barnes. And...I'm a friend of Steve Rogers—"

He growled and hoisted his gun higher, tightening his grip on every inch. I flinched as the distant interaction soured, immediately fearing for my life.

Lowering his gun, he stalked toward me with great ferocity. Against my better judgment, I held my ground. I raised my arms to cover my face when I heard the stomping footsteps halt.

I gripped the chip wrapped in my hand tighter and started to move backwards. He lunged for my arm to pry it from my fingers, when another voice spoke.

"Jennifer!"

The Soldier whipped his head around to find the voice, hand still firmly attached to my forearm. My eyes found the voice with great relief.

"People are gonna die Buck. I can't let that happen."

Bucky threw my arm, knocking me to the ground. Immediately disinterested in me, he heatedly approached Steve.

"Please don't make me do this," Steve pleaded.

Steve jumped with great, super soldier strength to propel himself up to the platforms. Bucky followed suit, and I was left to find some way to climb to the mainframe.

We're running out of time.