Chapter 16 - Desperation

After urgently scanning my surroundings, I found a ladder leading to the southernmost platform. With Steve and Bucky on the northeastern platform, I could insert the chip if I sprinted. Bucky saw me nearing my endgame and leapt from his position to block my path.

I stared incredulously as Bucky came up to me, and I reflexively went to punch his jaw. He caught my fist and pulled it to the right. With his metal arm, he returned a punch I'd intended for him. I heard a crack, and knew my nose broke—but the overwhelming pain, eyes watering, and streaming blood sealed my suspicion.

"Steve, catch!" I flung the chip over Bucky's head to the platform. Clearly not the best arm, as the chip landed far beyond where Steve was. Bucky landed one swift kick to my backside, leaving me flat on the platform as he stormed after the chip.

Steve and Bucky sparred as both worked to snatch the chip. I seized this opportunity to run toward the rifle Bucky threatened me with moments earlier. Steve reached for the chip as Bucky kicked him square in the gut. On one knee, he swept his other leg out to knock Bucky off his feet. Steve jumped over his fallen comrade and sprinted toward the helicarrier mainframe, chip in hand. Each time he neared the mainframe and started the process of inserting the chip, Bucky was right there to knock him down.

I grunted in steadying myself with the railing. I watched momentarily as Bucky and Steve fought each other—albeit Bucky more furiously than Steve.

"Jen!" Steve called, dodging punches and kicks from Bucky, "I got the chip out—we just need to replace it!"

As soon as I nodded in confirmation, Bucky threw himself at Steve and launched the pair of them off the platform. I watched in horror as the chip slid out from Steve's grasp and well within Bucky's reach. He threw a punch which flung Steve downwards, and Bucky nearly grabbed the chip. When Bucky threw Steve's shield at him, I set up my firearm on the platform railing and aimed.

I fired two shots, one whizzing past Bucky's head. Steve wrapped his arm around Bucky's neck as he'd spun toward the shot's origin. Steve released Bucky as soon as he'd lost consciousness. I watched Steve's success at defusing Bucky, and called out to him.

"Steve, throw it to me!"

Steve looked up to me, and tossed the chip. Leaning over the rails, I barely grasped onto the chip before I heard the gunshot. Bucky woke up, and wasn't finished with Steve.

"Steve!" I screamed.

"Jen—go! No time!"

I breathed heavily as my stomach churned. If I didn't insert this chip in time, hordes of people would die. But would I be responsible for the death of the star-spangled man with a plan?

Bucky continued to shoot at Steve, but managed to graze my lower leg as I neared the mainframe. I yelped in pain as I dropped to my knees.

"One minute," Maria's voice echoed on the comm.

Crawling, I grew closer to the target. Bucky continued to fire, this time skimming the top of my right shoulder.

"Goddammit!" I shrieked; the blinding pain almost unbearable.

Still, I inched forward. I staggered to grasp the hub, and used every bit of strength I had. As I reached my left hand, a bullet went straight through my pinky finger. I gasped in horror at the missing chunk of my digit.

In a final effort, I fought my burning shoulder as I reached my right hand holding the chip.

Click.

"Charlie lock."

I slid down and closed my eyes.