Chapter 27 - Almost

The pit in my stomach knew how close together we were before I did. With our faces inches apart, I leaned in to rest my forehead on his. I could feel his breathing quicken as mine kept pace. He tilted his head to whisper in my ear.

"I want you."

His arms wrapped firmly around my waist as he tugged me onto his lap, straddling him. Our bodies pressed together heatedly as the hunger surged, our lips barely brushed as tempting breath fanned. 

Our breathing grew heavier as our lips intertwined; the taste of our shared breath insatiable. His tongue snuck between parted lips to taste. His lips were soft and pillowy against my own. I felt the tender tickle of his breath beneath my nose, my fingers entangled in his hair as we breathed each other in. 

My breath hitched and I pulled my lips off his.

"I can't," I whispered, still staring at his swollen lips.

He pulled away slowly, glancing at my lips then back toward my eyes.

"Why?" he breathed.

"I'm just," I pursed my lips and exhaled through my nostrils. "I'm still a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. I've got S.H.I.E.L.D. regulations to uphold, but I care... I do—but S.H.I.E.L.D. is all I have. When this is all said and done—"

"This?"

My chest tightened. "You, me, your memories, us on the run..."

"This is a mission to you, isn't it?"

"What? That's not what I meant—"

"I thought the feeling was mutual."

"But-well, it is... but S.H.I.E.L.D. is my life, I'm still trying to do right by my—"

"Don't let me interfere with your assignment," he hissed.

"James—"

"Don't... You shouldn't call me that," he stood and stalked toward the door. He wrenched the door handle and stopped partway out of the doorframe. He paused, turned to face me, then looked toward the floor as he darted out.

I winced as the door slammed shut, the warmth in my chest turning cold and crushed.