"Christopher?" I asked cautiously and his eyes snapped down to me, "You alright, man?"

He chuckled as if those deep thoughts in his head never existed, "Yeah, I'm good. You?"

"Great." I answered honestly.

He grinned that charming grin, something I observed many girls fawn over throughout the years, "Of course you are, you've got the girl of your dreams waiting in there." And he was right, but it wasn't just Sienna that made me happy – obviously she was one of the main reasons, but I had also gotten into Penn, my little sister was finally starting to get better, and suddenly I felt a kind of peace I hadn't felt in a long time.

"You say that like you haven't got several girls in there begging to dance with you when you walk through those doors." I chuckled and then noticed his expression, those deep thoughts resurfaced.

And I wasn't an idiot to not realise why.

"But they're not the one you really want, are they?"

His eyes instantly snapped back down to mine, and he descended the staircase. Christopher wasn't small, he was probably around the 6ft mark, but I still felt like I towered over him because, in my girlfriend's words, I was a walking-talking giant who can now never wear green because then she calls me 'green giant' and apparently, we can never call our child any formation of the name 'Jack'. Her words, not mine.

"You don't know anything." Christopher muttered and that was when I noticed the flask in his hand that he took a long swig of.

I shrugged, "You're right, I don't." and I felt bad for him. I never really knew Christopher, but I never classed him as a bad guy. "But you should probably make a move before it's too late."

He leaned back against the wall, and I noticed how he held his blazar instead of wearing it and that is dress-shirt sleeves were rolled up to his elbows.

"If music be the food of love, play on, give me excess of it; that surfeiting, the appetite may sicken, and so die." He quoted amusingly but I could see something behind his eyes that dangled a string of hopeless like a taunting toy.

"You're quoting Shakespeare, must mean you're really in despair." I laughed softly and went to stand next to him.

"I don't feel despair, I stopped feeling that a long time ago." He smiled sadly. "But, hey, I can't start sounding too poetic, we are just living on a flying rock right now so..."

I chuckled, not because it was insanely funny but because it was the only response I could think to do.

"I heard you got into Penn. Congrats, man – I mean you are one of the smartest fuckers in this school."

"Thanks."

"You know, you could always just go up for Valedictorian, so why haven't you?" it sounded more curious then accusing and so I shrugged.

"Because I've never been in involved in any extracurricular activities and, besides, I'd never take that from Rya knowing how hard she's worked for it. That's assuming that the meeting between her and Principal Cunningham is about just that."

He remained silent. Then he took another swig, "Don't know what you're talking about, Principal Cunningham only told me to tell her."

"I didn't even imply that you knew." I shrugged humorously. "In all honesty, Rya scares me, so I'd be terrified to upset her."

"Rya scares everyone."

"But not you."

He remained silent and took another swig, for a moment I believed he wasn't going to say anything before he hesitantly answered, still staring questionably at the wall in front of us. "No... she scares me."