FORTY

Time blurred as I packed my things and ran out of the classroom. I couldn't hear if anyone called after me, all I could hear was my heart thumbing in my chest. "Sienna... Skye's collapsed.... And... And she's not breathing." I heard the words echo in my head again and again, the helplessness in his voice, the pure fear.

  I couldn't think. All that remained in my mind were those words. Skye's collapsed and she's not breathing. I tried not to think of the worst, but the darkness kept creeping in like moths to a flame, destroying every light of hope with their dark and terrifying wings.

  My feet burned as I ran down the halls trying to find the exit. I pressed my hand against a locker allowing the cool surface to chill my burning skin. I needed to catch my breath, to gather my thoughts. I needed to be there now.

  A hand touched my shoulder and I turned to meet with the large blue eyes of my best friend. "Rya." I gasped out of exhaustion and surprise but happiness that she was there.

   "What's going on?" she asked, studying my face to see if she could get some sort of clue. Tears welled in my eyes and my bottom lip quivered.

   "Skye... she... she's collapsed and she's n-not breathing." Without a thought, she pulled me into a hug and held me tight. I let the tears spill down my cheek but pulled away quickly when a worry came to mind.

   "I... I-I have to get there. I have to be there for them, but the bus takes too long and –"

   "I'll drive you." She quickly cut in.

   "No." I shook my head. "I'll drive, you don't have to miss school for me." But she wasn't giving in.

   "You're in no state to drive and Roman needs you there safe and healthy. He doesn't need another person to worry about so let me." I gave in and she grabbed my hand as we ran down the halls to the exit and then to her car.

  The whole ride, my legs refused to stop shaking and my knees bounced up and down like crazy. I kept picking at my nails as my hands rested in my lap and bit the inside of my cheek until I could taste the warm, metallic substance of blood.

  Rya focused her eyes on the road, trying to take as many shortcuts as possible, going faster than the speed limit which showed how determined she was to get me there fast because Rya never went above the speed limit.

  We parked up and ran towards the automatic doors that whooshed open as soon as if felt our two-meter radius. It was packed for a weekday afternoon and the chaos inside the hospital only made the chaos inside my head intensify. Was Skye okay? I hated that I didn't know the answer. I hated how Roman wasn't picking up my calls or answering my messages. It made me envision the even more likely circumstance of running into a hospital room and seeing him crying over his dead sister's corpse. Rya grabbed my arm as if to bring me out of my thoughts and I knew she saw the havoc reeking inside my head.

   "Don't go there." she whispered to me. "Not just yet." She smiled softly and pulled me over to the front desk. Of course, it had to be that redhead bitch.

   "We're here to see Skye Lawrence." Rya stated as she looked us up and down.

   "You again?" she irritated raised an eyebrow when her eyes scanned me. Redhead bitch turned even more of a bitch after the Lawrences talked to the hospital to get my 'community service' removed as I saved Skye's life. They did and redhead bitch was mad because her reign of suffering had to end.

   "We're here to see Skye Lawrence." Rya gritted through her teeth. She stared back at her slightly surprised by her bitter tone.

   "Name?" she then drawled.