THIRTY SIX

Luckily, my parents slept in that morning, and so Roman was able to have soup and leave without any questions asked, but I didn't fail to notice the side eye from my mom the whole rest of day when I told her I overslept for school.

  I went around to Roman's on Sunday but we didn't have sex. In all honesty, I was slightly disappointed but it was due to the fact that his parents were home and hanging about and the fact I also had tons Chemistry homework to do. However, I did stay for dinner for his mom's amazing macaroni and garlic bread, this time she brought ice cream and so we sat in the living room and ended up watching a movie.

  It felt weird hanging out with Roman's parents so comfortably. It felt even weirder how they were perfectly fine with it. I didn't want them to get the wrong idea about Roman and I, we were just friends – friends with benefits more like – but there was nothing romantic about it. We both had things we needed; me – good grades, him – Emily. And that was the way it was going to go.

  I didn't know why I was suddenly so cynical about it all. After I left Roman's on Sunday, I couldn't help but think that way. It all felt wrong. Something was off. Off in the sense that I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I had so much going around in my head: graduating, Spring Fling, Adam and Leah being bitches, Rya calling me up to complain about something stupid Christopher did. The last thing I needed was complications between Roman and I. Getting my shit together was what I needed to focus on.

  Speaking of Christopher, however, the first thing I encountered walking into school Monday morning was Rya having a full-blown rage at him.

   "You little bitch, I know you did it!" she pointed an accusing finger at Christopher.

   "I didn't touch your fucking laptop, woman! You're just jealous my Psych essay is better than yours!" a smirk resided on his face as he held his hands up in defence.

   "Oh, like I believe that, you piece of shit! One minute it was there, the next it was gone!" I could imagine steam puffing out of her ears at how fuming she was.

   "Oh, and I'm the one to blame?!" he chuckled in annoyance, placing an offended hand on his heart. "This is probably just a set up to get me off the Valedictorian list!" he narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

   "Nikki saw you go into that classroom! And Nikki sees and knows everything!"

  I walked over cautiously; afraid I'd get my head cut off if I interrupted.

   "Nikki said Chad Willman was also in the room, but your brain instantly goes to me! What can't get me out of your head, sweetheart?" if Rya wasn't livid before, she certainly was now.

   "Chad Willman can't even tell the difference between rabbit and a baby giraffe! And don't call me 'sweetheart', dickwad!"

   "Would you prefer 'kitten' again, hmm?"

   "I'd prefer you to jump into an erupting volcano so admit that you delete my essay file!"

   "I've told you this a million times! I didn't delete your shitty essay file!"

  Rya gasped a placed a shocked hand on her heart, "My essay was not shitty!"

  I stormed over as she went to lunge at Christopher, knowing I wouldn't get there in time before she clawed his eyes out. However, Taylor was there just in time and wrapped his arms around her waist to hold her back.

  Christopher stagged back but I saw the amused smirk on his face.

   "Can't keep your hands off me, McCoy?" he mused.