TWENTY FOUR

In a rush, I climbed off the table and hastily began packing up my supplies. Roman helped me, straightening out his shirt as I fixed my hair. When his parents walked in, their eyes widened in total surprise.

"Sienna!" his mom smiled brightly. She looked at her son busily stacking away papers. "I didn't realise you guys had a tutoring session tonight." I looked out the window to see that the sun was setting.

"Erm, yeah." I awkwardly replied.

"Sienna had somewhere to be after school and so she asked if she could move the session back by a few hours." Roman quickly explained. Both his parents nodded in understanding.

"Well, good thing I bought extra macaroni." She chuckled and handed Roman a shopping bag. "Help me put these away, my feet are so tired."

I quickly interjected feeling like an intruder, "I-I can help if you want."

"Nonsense!" Mark, his dad, brushed it away. "You've already been working hard with tutoring."

"And you're our guest." Roman's mom carried on, stacking yogurt pots in the fridge as Roman shoved a frozen bag of chicken cubes in the freezer.

"Now, tell me, Sienna." The voice of Mark made me whip my head around to face him as he unpacked the shopping bags on the counter. Bacon, carrots, mints, orange soda, and so much more. "How many slices of garlic bread do you like."

How many slices of garlic breadshit, they weren't asking me to stay for dinner, were they?!

I waved my hands about, "Oh no! It's okay. You don't have to –"

"Of course we do!" Roman's mom argued. "It's almost dark out and I'm cooking dinner anyways. I'd love for you to join us, Roman never has his friends over very often –"

"Mom!" Roman cut his mom off in pure embarrassment.

"Oh shh!" his mom lightly slapped his shoulder. I looked at her face. She was so excited that Roman had a friend – even though I didn't know if Roman and I were friends – but the look on her face was so bright with happiness that I'd feel so guilty to refuse.

"O-Okay." I finally gave in.

❦❤︎❦

Sitting at the dinner table with Roman and his parents was another type of awkward. Although, the food was delicious. It'd been ages since I had had good old macaroni and I was pretty sure everyone was a sucker of garlic bread, even though it completely broke my diet, but I'd feel horrible to be so fussy.

I could feel Roman's awkwardness as he sat opposite me, scoffing down mouthfuls of macaroni. Roman didn't have any friends and so this whole situation must've been very new and very uncomfortable for him. Especially since I wasn't just the girl he was tutoring; I was the girl he was doing... other things with.

"So, Sienna." His mom decided to strike up conversation. "Do you and Roman share any classes together?"

"Erm, no." I answered. "Roman's more... he's smarter than I am, hence, the tutoring." I nervously chuckled.

"How long has the tutoring been going on?" his asked.

"Two months or so." Roman answered. Two months?! I mean, I knew we had been doing this for a while but two whole freaking months?!

His mom smiled contently and took a bite of garlic bread. "And you two are friends?"

Roman and I shared a look. Were we friends? We never said we were. We've never hung out outside of this whole deal thing.