It was one of her good old high school friend whose number she didn't save.
After receiving the phone call, she began to wonder why Dave hadn't wish her a happy birthday yet.
She was expecting a call from him by 12am.
She was hoping he would be the first to wish her but apparently, things weren't going as she hoped.

She didn't want to bother too much. Maybe all of this was a part of the surprise.
Maybe he already had something huge planned out for her.
She replied a few more messages and went back to bed.

                        *

She woke up that morning by 10am and the love she received from her family was way more than she expected.

They had already ordered a cake for her and immediately she came to the living room, they sang a harmonious happy birthday song to her.
Her mom knelt her down and said some prayers to her.
She also gave her her blessings and then presents came next.

After cutting the cake and taking pictures, she received an iPhone 12promax from her dad. She felt like the happiest girl in the world.
She was using and iPhone XSmax before now.

She couldn't wait to share the good news of her new phone with Dave.

She ate part of the cake and picked up her phone.
She went straight to WhatsApp and she still hadn't receive a message from Dave yet.
TF!
Was this boy kidding her right now?
No post, no phone call, no fucking text!
Was he trying to get her day ruined or what?
The worst of it all was that she could see him online.

Imagine not getting a birthday wish from someone you love the most.

She refused to let her day get ruined by just one person.
One's birthday occurs once a year doesn't it?
Today happened to be hers and she would have fun to the fullest, with, or without Dave.
Who said she couldn't be happy without him?

Later that day, her friends came over and asked her to go and get dressed because they was gon' be taking her out to have some girls time, bills on them.

Jasmine didn't spend a dime, they kept to their words.
Everything she ate and drank was taken care of by her girlfriends.
She had a whole lot of fun.

They played virtual reality games and they played a prank on some people they had never met in their lives.

Crazy much huh?

They made videos with Jasmine's brand new iPhone.
Her friends were really excited that she had gotten a new phone, the latest one at that.

She came home by 8pm that evening, took a shower, ate a slice of cake and dived into the world of music.
She couldn't believe Dave didn't wish her a happy birthday.
How could he be so hard hearted?
And he called himself her friend.

What type of friend would do that?
Even if they were not on talking terms.
He knew she had insecurities and he still did this to her.
Maybe that was why he always told her to expect the worst to happen at all times.

She assumed this was the end of their friendship and she vowed not to ever text him.
She was still receiving birthday wishes from people but she was too tired to reply.
Besides, she was sleepy so she retired to bed.

           *******

The next day, she was listening to music in her room when she received a text from Dave.

She scoffed as she contemplated on if she should open it or not.
Why was he texting her now after he had done what he was best at doing, causing her pain.

"I know you hate me now, I hope you had fun yesterday.
Happy belated birthday by the way." She read as she finally decided to open his text.