chapter twenty-nine: saved

Had it been hours? Days? They weren't even sure anymore. Everytime she thought she was free from the pain, it started again.

Maethel began to tug on the chains binding her wrists behind her back...seeking for a weakness within their enslaving hold...finding it not giving an inch...Maethel not realising that her efforts being noticed by one of her captors, until it was too late. She was now sprawled on the floor of Dol Guldur her green dress torn and ripped as she was flung around the floor.

She pulled on those chains when suddenly a shadow fell across her seated form...jerking her blue eyes up to see the ugly sneering mug off one the orcs looming above her. Fear swirling around her as she realised she was caught ...seeing the grotesque hand slowly reaching for her front of her shirt and pulling her close to that monstrous visage...its foul breath washing over him, making her want to gag and her eyes to tear up. "Hey, little rat. You tryin to escape." its cold laugh filled Maethel's ears and she shivered in fear. "Its no use...we tied you up real good. Ain't no way you getting away from us...not till we done with you." there was a barking laugh behind the orc who grabbed Maethel's thigh. She shuddered.  "Ha ha...yeah when we're done...more like good and dead. Once that dwarf rat you call King or your father pays for you...." he trailed off as another piped up with its grunting voice.

"You mean we give her back? I thought we kill her as he watched...after we capture him too." there was a round of grunting laughter in side of the fortress. Maethel felt tears stream down her cheeks as she thought of Thorin and what he was doing. Did he know that she had been captured? Did anyone know except for her brother?

As Maethel listened to their plans a wave of cold grew inside as fear encompassed her heart at these vile monsters plans for her and Thorin....suddenly the sound of a stomach rumbling bouncing off the stony walls. "Ugghh...I'm hungry! I say we eat the scrawny one now. Oakenshield will come, even if the princess is dead.. to retrieve her remains." The other orc grunted and the one who had just spoke turned at snarled at Maethel who had was still held low as she weeped.

As Lady Galadriel and Lord Elrond drew closer to the fortress of Dul Guldur where the orc packs tracks led to...slowing their pace as they didn't want to be detected by the orcs that they knew were close by, judging by their sharp elvish hearing. They both slowly crept along the rocks where the grunting voices of orcs could be heard coming from within a rocky opening that led to the steps which led to the clearing in which Maethel was being held captive. Legolas had sent word to Lothlorien and Rivendell as he knew he would have no hope with his father back in Mirkwood as he knew his sister was banished. 

Lady Galadriel eased her head carefully around a large rock that her and Lord Elrond were hiding behind, to glance around. Her eyes widened as she saw further around, against the far pillar was a cage hovering high in the air, with discarded torn scraps of green elven silk. She scanned around until she noticed a figure slumped against a large rock, near to the edge. Maethel looked up at the Orc who was ginormous, Galadriel noticed the large bags under her eyes and her tear soaked cheeks. Turning her head she looked at her friend, and nodded for them to continue on...both almost soundlessly inching their way closer...using the large rocks and trees  to shield their movements from the vile creatures nearby.

As Lord Elrond crept along in Galadriel's wake, his brown eyes kept glancing over at Maethel who sat there glaring at the orcs...his eyes caught her squirming about , trying to free herself, at the same time as orc took notice also....the orc then walked over to lift Maethel up in his hand by the front of the poor girls shirt. He saw her cringe in disgust as it brought her close to its face and laughed as it spoke in their gutteral language that even he didn't understand, at the princess's attempts to get free. Several others laughed at whatever the orc holding Maethel said and there was some words volleyed back and forth...until in one moment the main one spoke in words he did understand and it sent a chill through him. "Ugghhh..I'm hungry." Elrond gave Galadriel a confused glance who placed a finger across her own lips for silence... the fire of rage gleamed in her blue eyes...a silent message could be seen in those crystal depths. Galadriel then looked over at her long friend and gave him a look for him to stay where he was in the shadows. 

  She emerged out of the shadows, with the ginormous Orc snarling down at her. "I have come for Princess Maethel, and I will leave with her. Stand down or I will destroy you!" When he roared in defiance, Galadriel raised her arm and unleashed a deadly light that dissolved the Orc and rented the sky for miles. She beared Maethel away in her arms, and Sauron called out to her in Black speech. He specifically chanted the verse referring to the rings of power. She and the unconscious Maethel  are surrounded by the spectral forms of the Ringwraiths. Seemingly startled, Galadriel retreated to a dais where she protected Maethel. Sauron warned her that she cannot fight the darkness, especially if she is alone. "I am not alone." Galadriel answered. Lord Elrond arrived on the scene, with Saruman following not too long later and they fought all of the Nine. Elrond seemed to use his Ring of Power along with his Elven-sword in duelling the Nazgûl. 

Saruman used ninja-like skills involving his staff and magical bursts to beat the Ringwraiths. The two of them attempted to dismember the Nazgûl and knock them off the fortress walls, although the wraiths keep regenerating. Elrond looked over at Galadriel who still held onto Maethel, who didn't seem to be waking up soon anytime.

Amidst the fighting, Galadriel healed Maethel by kissing her gently on the forehead, although doing so seems to take its toll on her. Radagast arrived on his rabbit sled and hastily escorted Maethel out of the fortress. Elrond commanded Radagast to take Maethel away back to Rivendell. He and Saruman inflicted enough damage against the wraiths that they are forced to retreat. Galadriel lies sprawled on the floor.

Sauron, himself emerged as his silhouette erupted in the form of a flaming eye. He bared down on the Council and the Nine are summoned again. Saruman is alarmed at the sight of Sauron, while Elrond raised his sword. "It has begun.. the East will fall. So shall the Kingdom of Angmar rise" Saruman lifted up his staff. "The time of the Elves is over. The Age of the Orc has come" Sauron demanded as his silhouette got closer whilst he sent the Nazgul forth to finish them off. Using her last ounce of strength, Galadriel rose and entered her spiritual ethereal form. She held aloft the Phial of Earendil, which instantly blazed with light and the Nazgul dissipated immediately. Galadriel and Sauron engage in a short but heated battle, trying to dominate each others mind. Sauron tried to sway her, but she defied him with scornful words. Sauron's silhouette begins to fluctuate, constantly revolving and reshaping as Galadriel assaulted his spirit. The outcome is that Galadriel is able to penetrate Sauron's mind and issued a single command, "You have no power here, servant of Morgoth! You are nameless! Faceless! Formless! Go back to the void from whence you came!" Galadriel shouted at Sauron as she held her hand out.

Unable to resist her any longer, Sauron screamed and fled. But Galadriel became rendered weak after their strife and fell back; Elrond rushed in to support her. Once he is casted away, Elrond stated that he must be permanently destroyed and should be warned. Saruman instructed him to take the severely weakened Galadriel to safety and to leave Sauron to him.