chapter three: map

The day grew shorter and the sky was preparing itself for the night. Thorin, Bilbo, Balin, Elrond, and Gandalf are in the Rivendell Library. Bilbo made his way slowly through through to where the others were and he made sure to look at all the books that were in the room. Some factual, some fantasy and some even in dwarfish! (to his surprise) One book opened his eyes and he was about to open it when he heard someone shout.  

"Our business is no concern of Elves." Thorin shouted stubbornly. "For goodness sake, Thorin, show him the map."Gandalf shouted letting go of everything he had previously been keeping in. "It is the legacy of my people. It is mine to protect, as are its secrets." Thorin persisted. "Save me from the stubbornness of Dwarves. Your pride will be your downfall. You stand in the presence of one of the few in Middle-earth... ...who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond." Bilbo looked between them, obviously annoyed by how this conversation went down. Thorin contemplated for a moment before giving the map to Elrond. "Thorin, no." Thorin hands the map over to Elrond, despite Balin's protests. "Erebor. What is your interest in this map?"

"It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden text. You still read ancient Dwarvish, do you not? Moon runes? Of course." Gandalf answered- Bilbo looked at him- "An easy thing to miss." Elrond carried on, "Well, in this case, that is true. Moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon... ...of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written." Thorin grumbled to himself. "Can you read them? Or not?" The Lord of Rivendell ignored the dwarf's comment. "These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly 200 years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield. The same moon shines upon us tonight." He paused before he read the map.  "Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

Bilbo turned to Balin, confused. "Durin's Day?" Balin hummed in response but took no time to answer. Indeed, it was Gandalf who answered the hobbit's question. " It is the start of the Dwarves' new year, when the last moon of autumn, and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together." Thorin scoffed lightly to himself after thinking it through. "This is ill news. Summer is passing. Durin's Day will soon be upon us." The Company of dwarves looked at each other with low moral but luckily one dwarf was with hope. "We still have time." Balin, the wisest and eldest of them all, whispered. "Time? For what?" Bilbo asked still puzzled at what was going on. "To find the entrance. We have to be standing in exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened."

"So this is your purpose, to enter the mountain?" Elrond questioned and Thorin looked at him glumly as he glared, "What of it?" Elrond somehow kept his calm complexion whilst Gandalf looked exasperated. "There are some who would not deem it wise." Thorin scoffed again. "What do you mean?" Gandalf turned his focus from Thorin to his old friend. "You are not the only guardian to stand watch over Middle-earth."

...

"The kitchen's under enormous strain, we are almost out of wine. How long do you think they will be with us?" Lindir asked in elvish as he and Lord Elrond took a quick stroll around Rivendell. "That has yet to be decided." They turned and watched the Dwarves playing in the pools naked as Elrond and Lindir looked at them. What a horrible sight, they thought to themselves as they gave each other a look of disgust. "Hopefully as soon as possible." Elrond whispered quickly so just Lindir could hear.

The dwarves in their guest rooms threw stuff around and burnt their furniture. Bofur saw his brother, Bombur sitting up there. "Bombur." He shouted as he tossed the food into Bombur, causing the table to break underneath them. Everyone laughed. Maethel walked into the room as she carried thick cloths and towels, with Arwen following shortly behind with bedsheets and pillows. As Arwen shut the door a bedside mirror was thrown at the door, shattering instantly and the lady let out a loud gasp. They both stopped and then looked at each other with a look of horror as they noticed the broken chair that poor Bomber was still sitting on top of. The room then fell silent and all focus was on the two elleths. 

"Of course I was going to tell you. I was waiting for this very chance." Gandalf persisted as he spoke with Elrond. After approaching the steps, Bilbo caught the conversation between Elrond and Gandalf and couldn't help but listen. "And really, I think you can trust that I know what I am doing." Gandalf continued. "Do you? That dragon has slept for 60 years. What will happen if your plan should fail, if you wake that beast?" Elrond questioned as he looked deep into the wizards eyes. "What if we succeed? If the Dwarves take back the mountain our defences in the east will be strengthened." Elrond turned away. "It is a dangerous move, Gandalf." Bilbo looked and saw Thorin behind him. However, the dwarf king looked at him, that just told him to listen and not to say another word. They continued listening. "It is also dangerous to do nothing. Oh, come, the throne of Erebor is Thorin's birthright. What is it you fear?"

"Have you forgotten? A strain of madness runs deep in that family. His grandfather lost his mind. His father succumbed to the same sickness. Can you swear Thorin Oakenshield will not also fall?" As Elrond spoke, Thorin looked troubled as Bilbo looked at them with an understanding of Thorin more than he ever did. "Gandalf, these decisions do not rest with us alone. It is not up to you or me to redraw the map of Middle-earth." Gandalf put his hands down firmly on the stone table. "With or without our help, these Dwarves will march on the mountain. They're determined to reclaim their homeland. I do not believe Thorin Oakenshield feels that he is answerable to anyone. Nor, for that matter, am I." He raised his voice. Lord Elrond turned back and looked at Gandalf, "It is not me you must answer to." Gandalf looked and saw Lady Galadriel there. "Lady Galadriel."

"Mithrandir. It has been a long time." Came the angelic voice of Lady Galadriel. "Age may have changed me, but not so the Lady of Lorien." Gandalf spoke in elvish. Galadriel smiled. "I had no idea Lord Elrond had sent for you." A voice sounded out of the darkness. "He didn't. I did." Gandalf turned to come face to face with Saruman the white, he bowed to him. "Saruman."

"You've been busy of late, my friend." The White Council, composed of Saruman, Elrond, Galadriel, and Gandalf, are now in the pavilion. Gandalf and Saruman sat at a table; Elrond and Galadriel stood or walk about. Dawn is slowly breaking. "Tell me, Gandalf, did you think these plans and schemes of yours would go unnoticed?" Saruman declared as he got comfortable in his seat. "Unnoticed? No, I'm simply doing what I feel to be right." Galadriel hummed. "The dragon has long been on your mind." Gandalf smiled, "This is true, my lady. Smaug owes allegiance to no one. But if he should side with the enemy, a dragon could be used to terrible effect."

"What enemy? Gandalf, the enemy is defeated. Sauron is vanquished. He can never regain his full strength." Elrond added, "Gandalf, for four hundred years, we have lived in peace. A hard­won, watchful peace." Gandalf raised his voice again slightly. "Are we? Are we at peace? Trolls have come down from the mountains. They are raiding villages, destroying farms. Orcs have attacked us on the road." He sighed. "Hardly a prelude to war." Elrond pointed out. "Always you must meddle, looking for trouble where none exists." The white wizard shook his head. "Let him speak." Galadriel ordered. "There is something at work beyond the evil of Smaug. Something far more powerful. We can remain blind, but it will not be ignoring us, that I can promise you. A sickness lies over the Greenwood. The woodsmen who live there now call it 'Mirkwood'. and they say..."

"Well, don't stop now. Tell us about the woodsmen say."

Gandalf looked back at Saruman before he continued. "T-They speak of a Necromancer living in Dol Guldur, a sorcerer who can summon the dead." Saruman laughed, "That's absurd. No such power exists in the world. This...Necromancer is nothing more than a mortal man. A conjurer dabbling in black magic." Gandalf looked in his friends eyes, "And so I thought too. But, Radagast has seen­..." Saruman interrupted. "Radagast? Do not speak to me about Radagast the Brown. He is a foolish fellow." Gandalf gave him a sharp glare, " Well, he's odd, I grant you. He lives a solitary life."

 "It's not that. It's his excessive consumption of mushrooms. They've addled his brain and yellowed his teeth. I warned him, it is unbefitting of the Istari to be wander in the woods..." Saruman's voice faded away as Galadriel focused on Gandalf, and spoke to him in his mind. "You carry something. It came to you from Radagast. He found it in Dol Guldur." Galadriel spoke telepathically. Gandalf nodded, "Yes." He spoke telepathically back. "Show me." Gandalf lifted Radagast's package, which he had in his lap, and placed it on the table. It let out a dull thud.