chapter two: dwarves

Poor Bilbo was still getting over the shock of the warg attack as they made their way into Rivendell. The dwarves noticed loads of elves bustling around as they took part in their normal day to day activities. The hobbit noted that they all looked friendly and he prayed that they would help them. Though he knew Elves had a bad history when it came to dwarves.

"Lindir!" Arwen rushed towards the other elf. The tension was clear in her voice, in the way her hands were gripped tightly together as she stood perfectly straight after coming to a halt. "Lindir, we have visitors!"

"Visitors?" Lindir frowned, glancing at Arwen. She nodded her head, as surprised as Lindir was. "What do you mean?" He questioned. "It is — it is dwarves,  Lindir!" Now, Lindir stood up from his seat, looking puzzled. "Dwarves? Are you quite sure?"

"I hardly would mistake them for something else." Well, that was a fair point. "There are a fair few of them, a dozen at least. I thought I would rather let you know as soon as possible than stay to get a more accurate count."

"What of their appearance?" Lindir slid off the windowsill, straightening himself. This was clearly too interesting for him to let it pass by, whatever the intent of these surprise visitors. "Do they seem hostile?"

"I really could not tell. They are armed, but not in the manner of those marching for battle. If I had to say, they are prepared for the road rather than war, but I am not an expert in these matters." Arwen looked at the direction she had came from before turning back to look at Lindir. "Thank you." Lindir glanced at Arwen. "You do not have to come," he said in a tone that rather clearly suggested she should not. "You need your rest, still, my lady"

"I will hardly get any rest if I spend my time wondering about these mysterious dwarves." Arwen stepped forward, intent on following Lindir. "Do not worry, I promise to stay out of reach of their axes." It wasn't like the dwarves were likely to carry bows and other such things, after all. Lindir seemed to consider this for a moment before sighing. "Try not to get killed, please," he said. "I would rather not explain to Lord Elrond just how I allowed you to meet your end at the hands of a band of dwarf invaders." The lady laughed. "At least allow me to speak with them first?" And that was all the sign he needed that Lindir wasn't going to argue with him on this point. "If they are indeed hostile, I would rather not reveal to them that you are here just yet." Arwen nodded. "I will stay back until I am needed." Not that she expected any dwarf would have reason to seek him out, but she might need to step forward if things got out of hand. Dwarves were quite unpredictable, after all. "Thank you." With this, Lindir seemed to compose himself, sweeping out of the building.

Lindir seemed to be of a similar mind, walking ahead of him in brisk, purposeful steps. He was not about to allow any sort of unnecessary ruckus while Lord Elrond was away, it seemed. Arwen followed him, staying far enough behind him not to draw too much attention. Well. She did follow Lindir almost until they had come up to the dwarves. Just as the noisy, filthy group came in sight, though, the ache in her chest flared up in a bright new flame, enveloping all of him for a moment. Thankfully Lindir's attention seemed to be more on the dwarves right now, and Arwen managed not to draw notice as she lingered behind, leaning against a pillar and trying not to be too obvious about it. "Mithrandir." Lindir smiled as he held his hand to his chest in a sign of greeting.  "Ah, Lindir." Gandalf smiled back as he stood in front of the dwarves. Thorin whispered to Dwalin, "Stay sharp." Lindir started speaking in Elvish to Gandalf. "We heard you had crossed into the Valley."

"I must speak with Lord Elrond." Gandalf ordered looking straight at Lindir. "My Lord Elrond is not here." Gandalf looked confused. "Not here? Where is he?" Then came and loud noise of thudding of hooves. Then the company heard a hunting horn and turned to see the returning elf war party. "Close ranks!" Thorin ordered and the elf war party surrounded the dwarves, Thorin then saw Elrond with the rest of he soldiers. "Gandalf!" Lord Elrond exclaimed. "Lord Elrond." The wizard replied back. Gandalf greeted Elrond in Elvish. "My friend! Where have you been?" It was then that one of the ellons held out his hand for Maethel to take. She took it, smiled, and jumped gracefully off her horse until she was standing next to Elrond's horse. "We've been hunting a pack of Orcs that came up from the South. We slew a number near the Hidden Pass." Elrond got off his horse and embraced Gandalf. "Strange for orcs to come so close to our borders. Something or someone has drawn them near."