chapter twenty-eight: boats

Kili approached Tauriel slowly, and she turned to face him. "Tauriel.." He said softly. She loved the way he said her name and he loved saying her name. "Kili!" Fili called over his shoulder. "Come on, we're leaving." Kili paid no attention to his brother as they pulled their boat further out into the water. He wanted nothing more than to stay with Tauriel. He didn't move. "They are your people," She told him. "You must go."

She walked past Kili, deciding that she should find Sigrid and Tilda again. She had to make sure that they were not alone but with their father and brother. But Kili couldn't let her go that easily again. He  whirled around and caught up with her. "Come with me." He said. His eyes met hers yet again and he could see them change. "I know how I feel," He said looking deep into her eyes. "You make me feel alive." Tauriel's emotions swelled around inside her and she felt her cheeks turn a crimson colour. She could see the happiness returning to him, and her heart felt as though she could burst at any given moment. Yet her mind interrupted once more.  "Please.. d-don't..." She said turning around.

"Tauriel.."

Both of them could sense the effect that her name continued to have on them. He grabbed her hand and squeezed it slightly, a silent urge to not let her go. "Aramaline." He whispered just for her to hear. She looked up at him with wide eyes. Somehow she knew what the word meant, even though it was an unfamiliar tongue. "I.. do not know what that means.."

Kili smiled for the first time since they had been reunite in Lake-Town. He knew she was smarter than that. He had just told her that she was his love, and she understood. Her could tell because of her reaction. She just didn't want to reveal how she truly felt, but he did. Kili loved her.  "I think you do."

Tauriel couldn't hold back anymore. She wouldn't. She leant foward, closing the difference between herself and Kili before she froze. She sensed another presence and she acknowledged it. "My Lord Legolas," she said in her native tongue. Kili glared over her shoulder at who had intruded them. "Take your leave of the dwarf," Legolas said in elvish. "You are needed elsewhere." Kili looked at Tauriel. She turned her head away from him. When she faced the dwarf again she backed away. Kili's heart sank, and his eyes fell to the ground. He turned around and headed for Fili and the others. Tauriel stayed silent. "News of the of Smaug will have spread these lands." Tauriel looked down she knew it was true. "Others will now look to the Mountain...for its wealth... for its position." Legolas continued. "What is it you know?"

"Nothing for certain." The Elven prince replied. "It's what I fear may come." Tauriel looked into her friends eyes, "You saw something out there." Legolas looked back into Tauriel's eyes and she looked away. "The Orc I out of Lake-town, I know who he is. Bolg, spawn of Azog the Defiler. A Warg pack was for him on the of Esgaroth. They fled into the North. These Orcs were different from the others. They bore a mark I have not seen for a long time. The mark of Gundabad." The two of them fell quiet. "Gundabad?" Legolas nodded, "An Orc stronghold... in the far of the Mountains."

There was more silence, "Where's Maethel?? I haven't seen her since the Orc attack." Tauriel asked as she continued to look at Kili as he stood in his boat. Legolas stayed quiet for a while, his face looking colder than ever before. "They took her." Tauriel almost misheard it. "W-What?" She turned back to face her friends brother. "Bolg.. one of his Orcs have taken her. I followed Bolg to Gundabad and the other took her in the direction of.." He paused. "Dol Guldur.." Tauriel's mouth was left wide open. "T-Then w-we n-eed to go-o and get her." She blurted out frantically as she looked around. Legolas stayed calm. "I've send word to Lady Galadriel and Lord Elrond as our father won't do anything.." They started to walk away from the boats.

"He said she has chosen her side. He will not help her."

Tauriel looked at the water, "Because she's fallen in love with Thorin..?"

Legolas was about to say something when they heard a horse ride up behind them. "My Lord Legolas." The voice started and Legolas turned around to come face to face with General Feren. "I bring word from your father.. you are to return to him immediately." Legolas looked at Tauriel, "Come, Tauriel." Tauriel froze. "My Lord, Tauriel is banished." 

"Banished?"

Tauriel looked shocked and then down. "You may tell my father, if there is no place for Tauriel.. there is no place for me." Tauriel stepped toward and bowed her head. "Legolas, it is your King's command." Legolas turned away from Feren. "Yes, he is my King.. but he does not command my heart." He paused as he started to walk away. "I ride North. Will you come with me?" Tauriel walked briskly to catch up with the prince, "To where?"

"Gundabad."