chapter ten: deal?

"I know you're there. Why do you linger in the shadows?" Maethel heard her father say as she got closer. Bilbo's heart raced as he thought he'd been found out. Maethel walked closer and stepped out from behind Bilbo. "Ada, I was coming to report to you." She smiled. "I thought I ordered that nest to be destroyed not two moons past." Maethel's smile dropped. "We cleared the forest as ordered, ada, but more spiders keep coming up from the South. They are spawning in the ruins of Dol Guldur. If we could kill them at their source..."

"That fortress lies beyond our borders. Keep our lands clear of those foul creatures. That is your task." Thranduil shouted and Maethel shuddered. "And when we drive them off, what then? Will they not spread to other lands?" She tried to reason. "Other lands are not my concern. The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom, we will endure."

"People's lives are at stake! Other Elves... humans, dwarves... we should kill them at their source, kill them so there all gone and we'll have less on our hands." Maethel argued as she noticed anger appear on her fathers face. "You have no control here, you will do as you're told as deputy of the guards." Her father shouted and Maethel looked at him before she stormed out of his room.

...

"Some may imagine that a Noble quest is at hand. A Quest to reclaim a homeland and slay a dragon. I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive. Attempted burglary, or something of that ilk." King Thranduil said as he leaned down to look at Thorin closely. "You have found a way in. You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule. A King's jewel. The Arkenstone. It is precious to you beyond measure, I understand that. There are gems in the mountain that I too desire. White gems of pure starlight. I offer you my help." Thorin smiled. "I am listening." Thranduil continued, "I will let you go, if you but return what is mine."

Thorin pondered on the thought for a moment." A favour for a favour." King Thranduil hummed, "You have my word. One King to another." It was then that Thorin scoffed and then shouted "I would not trust, Thranduil, the great King, to only his word. Till the end of all days be upon us!" Thranduil looked visibly shocked at Thorin's words and the dwarf continued.

"You, lack all honour! I have seen how you treat your friends! We came to you once, starving, homeless; seeking your help. But you turned your back! You, turned away from the suffering of my people and the inferno that destroyed us! ishkh khakfe andu null. You and all your kin! May you die in dragon fire!" Thranduil then plunged forward. "Do not talk to me of dragon fire!I know its wrath and ruin. I have faced the great serpents of the North." he shouted and Maethel knew what was going to happen. Suddenly one side of her father's face became distorted, showing signs of being once burnt, then as he stepped back his face returned to its normal state. " I warned your grandfather of what his greed would summon, but he would not listen." Thranduil then walked up the steps to his throne. "You are just like him." He motioned for his guards to grab hold of Thorin who struggled as they held him and took him away. "Stay here if you will, and rot. A hundred years is a mere blink in a life of an Elf. I'm patient. I can wait."

King Thranduil then went to sit on his throne and Maethel and two other guards dragged Thorin away. As soon as they were out of view, Maethel spoke. "Leave the prisoner to me, that's an order." The two male guards, Elros and one Maethel hadn't seen before nodded at their princess before they made their way towards the cellar. There, Maethel released her grip as she guided her prisoner towards his cell. They walked in silence with both their eyes fixed on the walk ahead.