chapter seven: path

The Company saddled and rode Beorn's ponies before they whispered their goodbyes. As they rode away, Beorn, who is staying at his house, looked around for danger.  "Go now, while you have the light. The hunters are not far behind." The company rode rapidly across the land, slowing to a stop as they approach a looming, gloomy-looking forest. Gandalf dismounted and walked into the edge of the forest through an ancient archway.  "The Elven Gate." He whispered.
Gandalf turned and called to the others. "Here lies our path through Mirkwood."

 "No sign of the Orcs. We have luck on our side." Dwalin dismounted. Gandalf squinted as he saw something in the distance; it is Beorn, in his bear-form, watching them from a distant ridge.  "Set the ponies loose. Let them return to their master." The dwarves and Bilbo dismounted and began taking their supplies of the ponies. Bilbo approached the forest on foot. "This forest feels...sick, as if a disease lies upon it. Is there no way around?" He spoke to Gandalf.  "Not unless we go two hundred miles north, or twice that distance south." Gandalf followed a path a few feet further into the shadows and approached a plant-covered statue. At the same time, Bilbo, who stood by himself, reached into his pocket and, after some internal conflict, slowly pulled out the Ring and fingered it. As Gandalf approached the statue, Galadriel suddenly appears; she is evidently thought-speaking to Gandalf from Rivendell.  "Something moves in the shadows unseen, hidden from our sight. Every day it grows in strength. Beware the Necromancer. He is not what he seems."

Gandalf approached the statue apprehensively, then quickly yanked off the vines, revealing a painted-on Eye of Sauron. Bilbo, holding the Ring, gasped slightly.  "If our enemy has returned, we must know. Go to the tombs in the mountains." Galadriel spoke to Gandalf. Gandalf, hearing her words in his head, nodded in agreement. "The High Fells. So be it."  The unladen ponies trot away; Nori is just about to finish unsaddling Gandalf's horse when Gandalf emerged from the forest. "Not my horse! I need it." As Gandalf strode forward, the Company looked up and murmured in surprise.  "You're not leaving us?" Bilbo questioned as he stood forward. "I would not do this unless I had too." Gandalf looked at Thorin, then turned and looked at a dejected Bilbo.  "You've changed, Bilbo Baggins. You're not the same Hobbit as the one who left the Shire."

 "I was going to tell you; I...found something in the Goblin tunnels." He stammered out slowly.
 "Found what?" Gandalf leaned forward curiously and suspiciously; Bilbo doesn't answer immediately, but fumbled with the ring in his pocket. "What did you find?" Gandalf repeated.
Bilbo stayed silent for several more seconds, then finally responded. "My courage." He removed his hand from his pocket.  "Good. Well, that's good. You'll need it. Gandalf turned and began walking toward his horse; he spoke as he passed Thorin. "I'll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me." Gandalf stopped and looked hard at Thorin as he said this, then continued toward his horse.  "This is not the Greenwood of old. The very air of the forest is heavy with illusion. It will seek to enter your mind and lead you astray."

"Lead us astray? What does that mean?" Bilbo asked Dwalin. Gandalf got on his horse. It began to rain lightly, even though the sun was still out.  "You must stay on the path; do not leave it. If you do, you will never find it again." Gandalf wheeled his horse and rode away. "No matter what may come, stay on the path!"