Constitution of a Transformation

Start from the beginning

"That could be the piece of critical information we've been overlooking. But if it only works in high-stakes situations, how can we study it in a safe environment?" Clemont wondered, but before anyone could answer, Squishy squirmed out of Bonnie's grasp and began to hop off.

It became clear almost instantly what caught its eye: lo and behold, Alain was there.

"Whenever we meet, you're in the middle of battle. Hi!" He greeted, stepping out of the shoes of the building's overhang.

"Hey, Alain!" Ash waved.

"Interesting device you're wearing."

"Yeah. We're trying to figure out what's up with Greninja's power, still."

"But it looks like it won't happen today..." Bonnie trailed off. "Wait..." She looked between Ash and Alain. "That's it! What if Ash and Alain battled! Ash and Greninja would get totally fired up like last time! And then we could see the transformation again!"

Crystal ruffled the girl's hair. "Sounds like a great idea!"

"Agreed. Then I can concentrate on the data!" Clemont added.

Alain nodded. "Right. I was hoping to battle Greninja again."

Clemont returned Luxray to its Pokeball, and everyone headed inside to get it and Greninja healed in the Pokemon Center. Nurse Joy promised to take good care of the Pokemon as she wheeled them off in a cart.

"So, Alain, what would you like to do while we wait?" Ash asked.

It was only then Zenith noticed how tall Alain was, towering over most of our heroes. She had realized he was a few years older than them the first time they met, but the fact Ash had to crane his head up to look at him... Then again, most of our heroes were only in their mid-teens and still had time to grow. He looked to be seventeen or eighteen at least.

...Which made the fact he almost seemed to be following our heroes even weirder. There was something off about him Zenith still couldn't place, but she had always been a bit of a skeptic.

"Come on, you must have some other Pokemon with you besides Charizard, right?" Ash prompted after Alain shrugged his shoulders.

"Yeah, in fact, I do."

"Then can we meet them? Maybe even battle before Greninja's all rested up and ready to go!"

He considered it. "I'm not against the idea. We should go outside."

Our heroes left the Pokemon Center, where Alain pulled some Pokeballs off his belt.

"This is Metang," he introduced, showing the middle stage Steel- and Psychic-Type. "And this is Unfezant, and one of my other partners, Tyranitar." The other two also emerged, exclaiming their names. Both seemed proud and well-trained.

Shadow released her Houndoom and Salamence, who stood at her side and let out twin roars. "Pretty impressive. If they're anything like your Charizard, I'm sure they're very powerful. But are you confident enough to test that?"

Alain raised an eyebrow, turning to her. "Are you challenging me to a battle?"

"Perhaps I am. We did say we had time to kill before Greninja is healed, after all."

He took a moment to consider it before nodding. "I have been told you're quite the force to be reckoned with. Professor Sycamore's assistant, correct?"