The wrong number

Third person's POV

(August 2021)

Augustus has lived in a dark world since that fateful day. Soon it will be 3 years of that incident. He stopped hanging out with his friends. He rarely visited her mother. He was still suffering alone.

Just like any other regular night, he was drinking at home all alone when he got a call. He was so drunk that he didn't care to look at the caller's ID and just answered it.

He waited for the person to speak up first. Then he heard someone crying and saying "I love you..... Please come back. I'll do whatever you say."

He moved away his phone to see who called him to tell him that they love him.

He noticed that he doesn't know this number. He was so drunk to say anything so he remained silent.

But the girl took it the wrong way and said "I will kill myself if you didn't come back."

He didn't know what to say or how to say it. He opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out of his mouth.

He was worried that the girl might do something stupid, so he cleared his throat and asked. "What did you do to make him go away?"

He doesn't know why he asked her that question.

He planned to just tell the girl that it was the wrong number but he asked something personal. He was not in the right state of mind.

She took a sharp breath. "I..... wh.... who.... are you?"

"Well, you called me, so you would know."

She said in a timid voice. "Sorry, maybe I dialled the wrong number."

"Well, that was obvious. I will hang up now but don't do anything stupid. Or else I will be the one suffering, you see, you just called me. The police will come to look for me. " He slurred.

"Are..... are you drunk? " She whispered asked.

"None of your business, just don't die. Your life can't be that hard."

"You are very drunk. I can hardly understand what you are saying. "

"Are you lecturing me girl?" He asked in disbelief and irritation.

"No, not at all. Why would I lecture or even advise to a total stranger who is convinced that I want to commit suicide? I said that so that he would answer me. But it turns out to be you. " She said frowning.

He can practically imagine her frowning while saying that. He smiled at her sudden change of attitude. She was sounding so depressed before, but now she seemed a little lighthearted.

"Don't be sassy darling." He said with a smile, feeling a little less dizzy.

"I..... I am sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I'm sorry. I think I should cut the call now. I am very sorry to disturb you." She waited for a little, then added. "I hope you don't drink this much every day. Drinking is not good for anybody. Goodbye, take care." She said and hung up.

He was shocked by the girl's last lines.

I don't want to admit it, because I don't know how, but this girl has stire me up in some way.

Thinking of this girl Augustus remembered the girl he met 3 years ago at the funeral of his girlfriend. The girl, who still makes him smile and frustrated at the same time. Like the girl, he just talked to.

That night he could not get any sleep. He kept on thinking about both girls.

The next morning he had a bad hangover as usual. He was working in his office when his phone beeped. He opened it and just stared at the message he got for a long time.