Welcome to the panic room -W.M

Highly inspired by the song 'Panic Room' by Au/Ra

Also, expect angst.

There may be a few triggers warnings, like abuse, mention of gun and gun wounds. Same with knife, talking about suicide. Just be prepared 'cause is a heavy one.

Narrator's POV.

Emma wasn't your typical Avenger. Like yeah, she fought the enemies and protects civilians with everything she could. But she had a dark past. One that wasn't like the rest of the Avengers. 

She wasn't kidnapped and experimented on, she didn't lose her parents while she was young, or any close relative for that matter, her parents weren't rich. Some would say that she had a normal life, a boring one even. 

But the truth never met the eye.

Just because everything looked normal from the outside, it doesn't mean that it was true. Her parents were abusive. Way beyond limits. 

Just by the age of 13, she was in and out of the hospital like it was a normal thing. The people there didn't really question her because she lived in a bad neighborhood, so they got patients like her pretty often.

That was their parents' greatest decoy. If someone were to ask why their daughter looked so beaten up, they could just simply say that she got caught up in a fight in the neighborhood. And the other person would never suspect anything.

But this meant much more abuse for her.

She got her powers from their beatings. To this day she doesn't know what had happened. One minute she was tied to a chair, barely conscious, then in the next she woke up with some type of purple mist around her. But the abuse didn't stop there.

It wasn't until the battle in New York, that she ran from the basement she was tied into, and offered her help in taking down the aliens. 

She thought that no one saw her, but she was wrong. Fury did, and a few weeks later when she was out to buy some groceries from her parents, he introduced himself. After a few more minutes of talking, he offered her the position of being an Avenger. 

Then he talked with her parents. The thing is, they could be the sweetest and kindest parents when there were people around. And no one really questioned anything. She guessed that she was a very good actress as well if everyone believed that she was happy with her family.

So that is how she got here. Training every day, not because she wanted to keep the stamina and be prepared for the missions. No, she worked out more than necessary because that was one of the only moments in which her mind would be at ease. Her anxiety would stop for a few moments. 

No one on the team knew about her past. She knew that everyone had a past that they weren't proud of, so she never asked questions. She kept to herself most of the time.

They weren't the most affectionate people, so that helped as well. In a messed-up way, she hasn't experienced a touch that wasn't hurtful. She doesn't know what love is. Every time someone was to accidentally touch her, she would have an internal freak-out. 

It was kind of funny actually. On the inside, she would have a full-on meltdown, while on the outside she couldn't appear more calm and relaxed.

The advantages of suppressing her emotions and faking the fact that she was fine for this whole time. She could lie with a straight face, and no one would see through it. Her heartbeat would stay the same, her hands would not sweat or tremble. She was that good.

Even the very suspicious and attentive Natasha Romanoff couldn't see behind the huge wall she built around her.

She also wasn't very good with emotions. The only ones she ever felt were fear, pain, and disgust. And since she learned to mask those so well, her eyes were empty most of the time. She would stare at herself in the mirror and couldn't for the life of her find something inside her, besides the fear she is always feeling. And also the disgust she gets every time she sees her scarred body. She feels disgusted with herself.