T-H-I-R-T-Y F-I-V-E

T H I R T Y  F I V E

T H I R T Y F I V E

     "Hey, you can do this, okay? Your dad and your uncle are right outside that door, and I'm going to stay here with you through the whole process." Athena reassured,  gently rubbing my back. "You are strong for doing this, you know? Many women don't get to this stage of the process, but you chose to do it willingly. Everything will be okay."

    My eyes looked over at a female police officer and a forensic nurse across the room, both getting a camera ready along with other needed equipment to collect evidence of my vicious attack, which I still couldn't believe happened.

    An assault that if it weren't for my dad showing up at my house at the right moment, I would either be hospitalized right now or, even worse, dead.

    After today's encounter with Ian, I knew I couldn't stay quiet any longer. I had to do it for my own good and Maia. Seeing the evil glint in Ian's eyes after he heard Maia's cry, a sense of panic and protectiveness I've never felt before ran over me.

    If he was capable of abusing me physically and mentally for months, I didn't even want to think about what he would be capable of doing to Maia, a defenseless baby, if I decided to let all of this go and not do something about it or him.

    "Everything is set. We are ready when you are." The young police officer informed.

    Athena gave me a slight nod and a reassuring squeeze in the arm. "Remember, you are not alone in this. We are all here for you."

    With a deep breath, I walked over to the spot the officer instructed me to stand as she started to take pictures of my head, face, neck, arms, and hands. In my head, I kept telling myself that this was going to be something quick, but with every second that passed and every camera shutter sound, that thought started to diminish.

    "Okay, Ms. Miller, we need you to take your shirt off so we can take better shots of the injuries," the nurse spoke. "After that, I promise we'll be done with this."

    I held back my tears as I proceeded to take my shirt off, wanting to get this humiliating process done.

    In the corner of the room, Athena tried to keep a straight face, but the second I took my sweater off, her face fell. With a hand on her mouth, she shook her head and looked away.

    Even though I was sure that I wasn't looking great, I knew she was having a hard time dealing with my appearance due to the own horrible experience she had a couple of months ago with that serial rapist that almost took her life while we all heard it through the radio.