E-L-E-V-E-N

E L E V E N

E L E V E N

"This is unbelievable!" My father chided as he threw my surfboard in the trunk of his car after having to put two of the backseats down for it to fit. "What the hell were you thinking when you got a ride from some guys you don't even know?"

Chewing on the inside of my cheek, I looked over my shoulder, watching the guys I came to the beach with talking among themselves as they looked over at my father and me. I was certain that they were making fun of me thanks to my father coming to drag me away from them as if I was a little girl.

To make matters worse, I would be the talk around the base because, unfortunately for the guys, my father recognized them and was going to report them to their Sargent for giving me alcohol.

"They aren't strangers. I have seen them around at the base,"

"You are supposed to be in school, Louise! Do you have any idea how embarrassing and terrifying it was to show up at your school to get you out early and find out you never showed up? I had to find out from your friends that you took off with some older guys,"

"Sorry for ruining your prestige reputation and for being such an embarrassment to you, General Miller," I muttered, rolling my eyes. Of course, he was worried about his image and nothing else.

Dad took his position in the army too seriously. I was aware that his rank came with a lot of responsibility, and either he wanted to or not, he was always going to be closely watched, but as a father, that should be the least of his worries.

From the look on my father's face, I could tell that I was starting to get on his last nerves. As much as I would've like to stay quiet at this very moment for my sake, I was in defensive mode. For the past months, I haven't been able to control my attitude or anger no matter how hard I tried.

"Put some clothes on and get in the damn car, Agatha!" He slammed the trunk shut with force, making me flinch.

Without saying another word, I started to put some clothes over my favorite black high-waisted bikini.  I could feel the loose button-down shirt already getting wet from my drench hair.

When dad showed up at the beach, he practically dragged me to the parking lot, not giving me the chance to grab all of my things. I had everything important with me, but it would've been nice to have my towel to dry myself before putting on some clothes.

"You don't have to get this mad, dad. I know skipping school was wrong, but it's just one day. No one had died for skipping school before," Once inside the car, I noticed first a piece of luggage in the seat under my surfboard, then I noticed the owner of the suitcase in the passenger seat, realizing it was not my mom, but my uncle.

"One day? Louise, I don't know how stupid you think I am, but I know you have been doing this for more than one day,"

I didn't know who I was trying to fool. After all, my dad was on the school board and was close friends with the principal. Whatever I did or didn't do at school would get back to him some way or another.