T-W-E-N-T-Y O-N-E

T W E N T Y  O N E

T W E N T Y  O N E

Six Years Ago

     "You are a freaking dick!" Yanking my headgear and oxygen mask off, I stood in front of my classmate as soon as we exited the building. "You could've put us all in danger if it wasn't because the others listened to my instructions. The instructor chose me to lead, and if you had a problem with him choosing a girl during this round, then you should've taken it up to him, but not put our lives at risk even if it's a damn drill."

     "No, we could've suffocated in there by the stupid decisions you made. Clearly, you aren't cut for this job," Shawn retorted, towering over me. I rolled my eyes at his movement as if his testosterone overload would intimidate me.

   It's been a month since I started training at the Fire Academy. A whole month of constant cold shoulders, side judge-mental looks, and remarks from many classmates all because I was one of the only two girls in our class.

   I have never been one to care about when others try to put me down. I have always had tough skin, but the type of treatment I was getting from damn grown men started to get to me no matter how much I tried to ignore it. I wouldn't care if it affected me in a hurtful way because I would simply cry it out at home. I cared because it was simply angering me to the point that I could do something stupid by losing my temper. The last thing I wanted to do was to prove these idiots right by getting kicked out of the program.

     "Is there a problem going on here, folks?" The instructor approached us, already giving Shawn and me a disapproving look.

     I could tell he was aware of what was going on between me and Shawn, which is why he kept choosing me to be the leader of the team whenever we had team drills. Either he enjoyed me getting mentally bullied by the others, or he saw potential in me.

     This whole situation with Shawn Grey has been going on since day one, but I have proved to every single instructor that I deserve a spot in the fire department by working harder than these fools have.

    "No, sir!" Shawn and I said in unison.

     "Good. Everyone go take a break," The rest of my team gave me a pity look before they dispersed along with the instructor.

      Letting out a loud groan, I sat on a nearby bench. I only had a couple of more weeks to go before I could take the Firefighter exam. I just had to hold on for a little longer until I didn't have to deal with this bull crap.

    I was fine as a paramedic for the 156 firehouse, but every time I stood on the sidelines whenever the team went into places caught on fire, I could feel the adrenaline coursing through me. I wanted to do more than wait for them to get victims out. I needed to do more.