T-W-E-N-T-Y E-I-G-H-T

T W E N T Y    E I G H T

T W E N T Y E I G H T

"Alright, that will be all for this morning's announcements. Enjoy your breakfast while you can." Captain Grey said before the room was immediately filled up with indistinct chatter. His piercing glare never left me as he made his way from across the room. "If it isn't the home-wrecker probie. I couldn't believe my ears when they told me that I would be in charge of the one and only little firecracker Agatha Miller. Small world, isn't it?"

    Straightening my stance, I folded my arms across my chest and glared back at him. If he thought his intimidation skills have gotten any better than how they were six years ago, he was dead wrong.

"Shawn, always a pleasure to see you too," I said sarcastically.

    "Likewise, probie." He said, looking me up and down. The smug smile on his face made me feel sick. "Oh, and it's Captain Grey now, by the way." He corrected, not missing a beat.

    I held back the urge to roll my eyes, which was almost as difficult as holding back the intense desire to punch him square in the face. Maybe the punch would take away some of the arrogance he has.

    "Potato, po-tah-to. Same difference." I retorted, waving a hand dismissively.

    "Careful, you seem to be forgetting who is in charge now, mistress probie."

    I exhaled loudly, dropping my arms to my sides. From the corner of my eye, I noticed how many of the other guys in the room were now staring at us. I know I have to try to stay out of trouble and be on my best behavior, but I was not about to allow this jackass to belittle me in the presence of people who will be my new co-workers.

    "With all due respect, Captain," I began, forcing my posture straight as I looked at his dark eyes. "I'm not a probie, and you know that. I have spent six years of my life doing this. Since you seem to be trying to look more important than me or something along those lines, let me remind you of some details you have forgotten about me. I might not be a Captain, but I have a Bachelor's and Master's in Nursing plus a minor in Business, so if we go by that alone, I already outranked you in both knowledge and experience."

    A few muffled snickers could be heard throughout the room from the guys. I could see that my words, alongside some humiliation, immediately affected him as Shawn's face hardened, followed by his upper lip twitching. A tick I perfectly remembered him doing all those years back whenever he would pick an argument with me just for him to lose in the end.

I arched an eyebrow at him, daring him to continue so I could proceed with humiliating him in front of his crew even more. He might be the Captain of this team, but I was not going to forget now or never the amount of torture and hell he put me through during our time together in the Fire Academy.