T-W-E-N-T-Y F-I-V-E

T W E N T Y  F I V E

T W E N T Y F I V E

Pursing my lips, I examined the five cards in my hands, feeling quite confident about my next play. Across from me, my opponent furrowed his eyebrows in concentration before a smirk formed on his lips as he drew his cards—all red diamonds.

"A Flush. Not bad, but still not good enough to beat this," I laid my cards in front of us.

All five cards were of the same suit in sequential order.

A Straight Flush.

"Are you serious?" Eddie groaned, taking another five-dollar bill out of his wallet. "That's the third time in a row. How are you so damn good at poker?"

I grinned triumphantly, snatching the money out of his hand and shoving it in my pocket with the other ten dollars I won earlier.

"You are such a poor loser, Edmundo," I joshed, shaking my head at him. "I grew up in multiple military bases where all my friends were mostly boys. You know how boys think. If I wanted to be part of their group, I had to be good at the things they liked. Kind of stupid now that I think about it,"

Growing up, I did not behave the way society believed a girl should. Throughout all my childhood, I was constantly moving from military base to military base, and in every single one, there weren't many girls around my age. The majority of the girls were either older than me or way too young. The situation did not give me much of an option but to play with boys.

Instead of playing with dolls or makeup, I was climbing trees like a monkey, playing in the mud, and doing other "boyish" activities that would make judgmental individuals lose their minds. It was not until I met Josefina in college that I learned what it felt like to have a girl as a friend.

Looking back at it now, I'm grateful that my parents were always open-minded and never gave in to stereotypes. The freedom they allowed me to have by doing the things girls are not supposed to do, according to close-minded people, made me become who I am now.

"You've got to teach me your tricks,"

"So you can break Chimney and Evan's wallets?"

"You know me so well."

    I laughed, dangling my legs over the ambulance's rear bumper. More police cruisers seemed to arrive at the scene in the time we have been waiting here for a crazy guy with a gun to get down from a house's roof.

     Apparently, the idiot tried to rob a home. Instead of handing himself over to the authorities, he decided to do the stupidest thing someone in his situation could do, get on top of a roof with absolutely no escape.