T-W-E-L-V-E

T W E L V E

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

T W E L V E

     "Listen up, this is a five-alarm fire, and we are third on the scene," Uncle Bobby started informing us as he made his way back with Ian to where the team and I were waiting for further instructions as we looked at the burning building in front of us. Ironically, the building was being used as a hand sanitizer factory which now represented how our worlds have been crashing and burning even before the pandemic. "Captain Mehta from the 133 is the IC. It's his show. Now, you guys know what to do. Gear up."

     After the brief information, we started gearing up in silence and as quickly as we could. Tensions were always high when it came to calls like this one. Working with other firehouses was never easy; everyone had their own way when it came to how they handle things. These calls were perfect for things to go wrong due to that matter and the unpredictable turns these fires could take.

    "There were 32 workers inside, and only 20 have made it out. Captain Mehta wants us in two teams. Chimney, Buck, and Hen, you are with me along with two others from the 141," Ian pointed at two older guys listening to their Captain a couple of feet away from us.

     I couldn't help but notice the annoyed look Evan gave both Chimney and Ian. As much as he says he's okay, I knew Evan was not ready to be back to work. He has been distracted and in a terrible mood, rightfully so since he found out about his dead brother. We were all worried about him, but he was not listening to any of us. Not even me, Uncle Bobby, or Eddie, for that matter.

     I was about to offer to switch places with Evan, but I felt a loose grip on my wrist. "Don't. You'll make it worse," Eddie shook his head, not bothering to look over at me.

     I sighed. I wished he wasn't, but I knew Eddie was right. I would make things much worse for Evan if I try to intervene. Sooner or later, he has to deal with Chimney, but I couldn't push him. After all, it was not Chimney's fault that he didn't tell Buck about the Buckley family secret; he was doing what Maddie told him. At the same time, not intervening was the best I could do. I couldn't have Evan mad at me right now too. We had to be on the same team when it came to this, and that was by being on his side.

     "Eddie and Agatha, you'll be with me joining the 133 on the Charlie side," Bobby continued Ian's instructions. "It's a big one, so stay with your teams. If you need to split off, remember that the hose line is your lifeline while staying close to the walls."

     I tried to concentrate on the instructions Bobby and Ian kept throwing at us, but the distant look on Evan's face worried me. I wanted to shake it off, but I didn't have a good feeling about this whole thing.

    "Evan," I whispered loud enough for only him to hear. He snapped out of whatever was going through his head and looked over at me. His blue eyes were distant.