32 - The One

Yuzuru spent most of the night staring into his phone, beating one Candy Crush level after the other just to keep his brain occupied.
Now the sun was already trying to make its way into his room and his hands were sweaty. He wasn't that concerned about telling the story to Sophie in a few moments but more about how she will react to it, what will follow after.

There was so much that he could blame on Tamiko without giving it a second thought but ever since Sophie showed up in his life, he was doing one mistake after the other. Now he wanted to fix at least some of it. To give her all the answers she deserved.

He heard the main door close behind Akira and Elliot, making him toss his phone aside and quickly run his hands through his hair in case it got all messed up on the pillow.
Her footsteps immediately followed to their hallway but he heard she has paused and stood there at his door, not knocking.
Was she doubting he is still there? She did not come to check on him ever since she got up and he wondered if she was too deep asleep when he was taking a shower early in the morning.
Making sure he used her shower gel instead of taking his from the backpack since that one seemed to provoke her so much. Possibly reminding her of the night they spent together in Japan and now finding it repulsive.
He let out a heavy sigh upon that thought just as he heard a faint knock on the door.

"Yeah," he said and sit up straight, his legs still under the duvet, "come in."

The door opened and she peeked in first before entering and sitting on the edge of the bed.
She was still in her pajamas and even from that distance, he could smell the sweet fragrance of fresh flowers on her. Was she sitting again among all those flowers she had in the flat over the winter?
The dark circles under her eyes were a clear sign that she had as much sleep as he had and the yawn that followed only confirmed it.
Making him feel even worse because he was the reason for her sleepless night.

"Wanna lie down?" he asked, patting the pillow next to him.

"Nah," she replied, suppressing another yawn, "if my head touches that pillow, I will fall asleep."

Her gaze fell on the black folder he had on the bed and he removed it, placing it on the nightstand.

"Don't worry," he said and got up from the bed, walking around it, "the story will keep you awake, believe me."

He went to the window and opened the curtains wide to let as much light in as possible and sat back on the bed, but this time on the side closer to the window. That way if she would lay down, he could lie on his left side and minimize the pain of his broken right rib, and most of all, the light would be falling on her face and he could be admiring her beautiful features.

Seemingly the warm spot he left behind was too irresistible and she did give him a slight nod before sliding under the covers as well and turning on her side just as he did the same.
A strand of hair fell over her cheek but he did not dare to tuck it behind her ear. Knowing very well that she would probably break his finger if he would even attempt it.
And right now, the only reason he was telling her the story was to give her what she wanted, having no more hidden agenda that she could like him more than just a friend.
Because after everything he has learned about her, he knew that even if he would be the nicest guy on earth, she would not get into a relationship with someone who had his fame status.
The only thing he selfishly hoped for to gain was just that maybe she would start calling him Yuzu again.
At least that.

"Considering how much I had it prepared in my head," he started with a quiet voice, "now I am not sure where to start."

"Start from the very beginning," she said, "I want to hear every single detail. Paint it for me so I can really get the full picture properly."

"Alright," he said, looking into her weary eyes and took a deep breath.

Here we go, Sophie-chan.